Physicians for Reproductive Health (Physicians) unites the medical community and concerned supporters. Together, we work to improve access to comprehensive reproductive health care, including contraception and abortion to meet the health care needs of all people.
- We bring the physician’s distinctive voice to debates over reproductive health care.
- We provide leadership and tools so that physicians can speak up and take action.
- We use scientific expertise and our doctors’ real-life experiences to influence legislation, medical practice, and public opinion.
- We advocate for reproductive health as a core part of all medical curricula.
Within our own organization, across all program areas, we commit to engaging in continual professional and organizational development toward the sustainability and longevity of Reproductive Justice (RJ) work as we partner with and amplify the work of leading Reproductive Justice organizations.
The current context will require that Physicians remains steadfast in confronting attacks on access to reproductive health care and related progressive issues, yet nimble and creative in responding to those assaults. The unstable political environment will also require that we revisit the Strategic Plan periodically to determine if it needs adjustment to address emerging challenges and to take advantage of new opportunities to ensure access to reproductive health care for all.
To learn more about Physicians, please visit us on the web at www.prh.org.
The President & CEO position:
Inspiring, Strategic Visionary, Skilled Fundraiser, Advocate, and Collaborative Thought-Leader
Physicians for Reproductive Health seeks a culturally competent, inclusive, creative and pioneering candidate with experience in movement building and fundraising to lead the organization as its new
President & CEO.
The President & CEO is responsible for providing strategic leadership, creative vision, and collaboration to ensure a sustainable future for this 27-year old organization.
The President & CEO is a leader committed to promoting transparency, trust, and facilitating consensus building. They oversee a $3.5M+ budget that is sustained by a variety of donor development strategies; serve as a thought-partner and strategist to the Board of Directors comprising of leading national medical experts, staff and collaborative partners in the reproductive health, rights and justice communities; and strengthen organizational policies to ensure transparency, fairness and inclusivity, and build on external relationships and the public image of Physicians for Reproductive Health.
This is a perilous time in the history of the reproductive health, rights, and justice movement, as access to reproductive health care faces challenges greater than ever before. As the distinct voice of evidence- based medicine and patient expertise in the reproductive health and rights communities, it is vital that we build on our efforts to mobilize our constituents to promote data-driven science, the advocacy work of our colleagues, and the reproductive health care needs of all people, especially vulnerable populations. Physicians itself is also facing new challenges that require the immediate re-building of its financial base of support. With vision, integrity and a standard of excellence, the President will lead and guide the organization through these significant internal and external challenges.
The President & CEO will oversee a small national organization that works under a remote model, with its staff and physicians deployed nationwide. All qualified candidates regardless of geographical location will be considered; a candidate outside the New York area is expected to work and have expertise in leading an organization that is in a remote environment. The President & CEO reports to the Chair of the Board of Directors.
While no candidate can possibly embody all of these qualities, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes to bear:
Strategic Direction and Leadership
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for the organization’s future growth, working closely with the Board and staff to implement and refine Physicians’ strategic priorities.
- Ensure staff accountability on their progress toward meeting annual goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership in developing organizational, financial, and program plans with the Board of
Directors and staff; carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Ensure that Physicians is an integral part of the reproductive health, rights and justice movements by forging new and cultivating existing relationships with colleague organizations on programs and activities that promote our shared values.
- Guide all organizational operations, including program activities and internal processes by the principles of Reproductive Justice and lead ethically within the mission and values of Physicians
- Act persuasively to advance strategic opportunities and move new and broad ideas and put them into action through sound strategies and action plans while contributing to public discourse.
- Maintain disciplined organizational focus with clear goals, strategies, milestones and metrics for success, and ensure necessary systems are in place to track, evaluate and share critical operational and financial information across the organization, and with partners when needed.
- Support program staff by setting and executing strategic priorities via actionable work plans and partnerships that drive priorities.
- Develop, in partnership with division heads and internal working groups, operational efficiencies, systems, processes and personnel policies that incorporate our RJ values and support the ongoing professional development of all team members.
- Ensure fiduciary efficacy and regulatory compliance.
Fundraising and Communications:
- Serve as the leading voice and external face of the organization and strengthen a culture of philanthropy across the organization.
- Cultivate and steward long-term donor relationships to ensure the organization’s financial viability.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and Engagement team to design and implement fundraising strategies that increase the organization’s income streams, and ensure that
Reproductive Justice principles are fully integrated throughout our fundraising work.
- Work closely with the Voice team to build Physicians’ visibility and among key stakeholders as the leading voice of medicine and patient experience in the reproductive health and rights communities.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Physicians in the media and with policymakers.
- Engage in fundraising by making major gift solicitations and cultivating relationships with current and prospective institutional funders and high net worth individuals.
- Develop, maintain and deepen relationships with the organization’s most committed supporters.
- Expand Physicians base of supporters to include more diverse communities.
- Cultivate external relationships across stakeholders and develop strategic partnerships with funders, institutions and colleague organizations to create collaborative initiatives that lift up our shared values.
- Support program teams ensuring integration of Reproductive Justice values into all aspects of our work.
- Work with program staff to identify new and innovative opportunities for collaboration that aligns with our mission and values.
- Strengthen and identify new partnerships and coalitions that will enhance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Interact frequently with program staff to deepen collaboration within the organization.
Management of People & the Organization
- Promote and model a positive and inspiring work culture based on an approach of continuous improvement and growth.
- Deepen and strengthen a culture of inclusion and equity among the staff and across the organization.
- Develop policies and procedures to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization.
- Support professional growth, development, and leadership of staff.
- Provide effective and inspiring day-to-day leadership and management in all programs and services, maintaining a broad and deep knowledge of all programs.
- Create a strategic vision for the organization, and advise and evaluate on the long-range planning and introduction of new programs/strategies.
- Provide strong partnership and leadership to the Board, open lines of communication, high levels of engagement and advancement of the organization’s mission and values.
- Ensure sound fiscal management and effective internal controls, with the assistance of our outsourced Accounting and HR Teams.
- Oversee risk management in areas of finance, legal, governance and, HR, in coordination with division heads, the finance and HR teams, the Finance & Audit Committee and the Board of Directors.
For this important role, Physicians for Reproductive Health seeks a visionary leader, advocate, fundraiser and spokesperson who is deeply committed to our mission and values, especially to the principles of
Reproductive Justice. We welcome a leader who is authentic and inclusive and who will take calculated risks and make difficult choices.
The ideal candidate will offer the following skills, experiences and characteristics:
- Unwavering commitment to reproductive health, rights and justice.
- Established track record of leading with energy, creativity, innovation and compassion.
- Seven or more years of senior leadership work which includes team leadership, fundraising, program & financial management in a closely related field.
- In-depth knowledge of nonprofit governance and general management best practices.
- Demonstrated experience building and leading sustainable processes for growth and empowering teams to develop and implement strategic plans to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Strong working knowledge of diverse organizational functions such as fundraising, human resources, finance and external communications.
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills.
- Ability to thrive and lead in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven expertise in leading an organization in a remote work model.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time overtime exempt position. The salary will be commensurate with experience.
Physicians offers medical (including sponsored dependent and family plans), dental and vision insurance, along with 401K benefits, generous vacation and sick time policies, and paid parental leave. The salary range for this opportunity is $170,000-$190,000.
To apply, please email your CV, cover letter, and salary requirements.
Applications are reviewed until the position is filled. Please indicate “President & CEO" in the subject line. No phone calls, please. HR will only contact successful candidates. Applications are reviewed until the position is filled.
Physicians for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people. We welcome and encourage applicants for all positions respecting the full spectrum of education, experience, age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, religion, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, marital status, veteran status or other military status, or citizenship status, genetic carrier status, genetic information, AIDS or AIDS-related complex or HIV status, being a victim of domestic violence, protected activity (i.e., filing a charge of discrimination, participating in a discrimination proceeding, or otherwise opposing prohibited discrimination), or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $171,000.00 - $191,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- Flexible schedule
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- 8 hour shift
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible