College of Communications
Department of Communications
Assistant and/or Associate Professors
Integrated Communications - Public Relations and/or Advertising
The Department of Communications at California State University, Fullerton has multiple openings for Assistant and/or Associate Professors in integrated communications, particularly public relations and/or advertising. We are looking for excellent candidates with additional specific expertise in either digital media skills instruction and/or research in Latinx/multicultural media audiences.
The successful candidates must teach, engage in research and service, participate in assessment of student learning, and provide academic and professional mentoring to students in a nationally recognized ACEJMC and CEPR accredited program. Teaching assignments may include courses conducted online, in the evenings, and at the Irvine center, approximately 20 miles south of the main campus.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
The Department of Communications is one of the largest and most diverse mass communications programs in the United States, situated in the second largest media market in the country. Nearly 2,000 students are enrolled in four concentrations (advertising, entertainment/tourism, journalism, and public relations) with 75+ full- and part-time faculty members. The Department operates international programs, a graduate program, numerous laboratory facilities, an internship center, award-winning student media, a student advertising and public relations agency, a week-long signature university event called COMM Week, and many other student organizations, clubs and competitions. For more information about the department, please visit: http://communications.fullerton.edu/comm
- A Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in communications or a relevant discipline by start of appointment
- Minimum two years professional experience in integrated communications, particularly in public relations and/or advertising
- Ability to teach successfully a wide range of online and on-site courses that may include undergraduate advertising or public relations principles, media writing, creative strategy, and campaigns courses
- Ability to teach successfully COMM 317 Digital Foundations (bit.ly/2x3QVNK) and/or collaborate on initiatives for the Latino Communications Institute
- Ability to contribute in the areas of curriculum development, accreditation self-study, and assessment of student learning
- Ability to interact effectively verbally and in writing with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues
- A well-articulated research and/or creative agenda in public relations, advertising, digital media, and/or Latinx communications
- Evidence of successful teaching
- Demonstrated ability to lead high-impact programs emphasizing student mentoring and professional engagement
- Contact with industry leaders and ability to expand university-industry partnerships
A complete online application must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php to complete the required online Fullerton application, apply to requisition # 493674, and provide the following required materials:
Please direct all questions about the position to:
- Letter of application responding to your experience related to the required and preferred qualifications and discussing your teaching philosophy, pedagogical practices and commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Curriculum Vitae
- A list of three references with relevant contact information. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents.
Search Committee chair Micheal McAlexander at mmcalexander@Fullerton.edu.
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by October 1, 2019.
The anticipated appointment date is August 17, 2020.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Application Review Begin Date:
October 1, 2019
Instructional Faculty – Tenure-Track
Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association