You understand the power of great service experience and its ability to inspire customer behavior. You have a keen understanding of what it takes to deliver exceptional services, both in front of the house and behind the scenes. But most of all, you see all of this in the context of furthering our clients' core mission or business. The issues to be resolved are often difficult to define and quantify; may involve complex, traditionally competing interests; are often characterized by senior leadership interest and visibility, and require extensive proving and analysis.
Human Centered Design Researcher
We seek a Human Centered Design Researcher to support delivery of Service Design Consulting on client-facing projects at Technical Assent. We are looking for YOU if you are somebody who brings with them a passion for human-centered design research. You are innately curious about people and seek to understand what drives and motivates them. You have a strong point-of-view about the right questions to ask and the most effective research methods to use to uncover insights. You are looking for a challenging and rewarding mid-level design research role in a fast-paced and collaborative human-centered design environment.
The following qualifications are required for this position:
- Bachelor's Degree in a Design, Design Research, Human-Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Psychology, or Sociology or related field
- 5+ years of professional research experience within a design-centric environment
- Proven ability to analyze objective research data sets to focus on potential client gaps and then design, plan, lead, and execute human-centered research teams to test hypotheses, uncover latent needs, insights, and constraints. Ability to scrutinize hard data and identify where problems exists and have insights based on research evidence as to what is effective and what is not effective, and experience in uncovering people's behaviors, attitudes, and unmet needs.
- Experience developing research plans that meet address client mission objectives.
- Experience leading the research portion of projects, from scoping and planning to conducting, synthesizing and communicating the insights.
- Be experienced in using a diverse range of research methodologies for all phases of research. Examples may include: in-context observations, interviews, surveys, analogous research, data analytics, usability evaluations, workshops, etc.
- Have the personality and demeanor to quickly build rapport with research participants, both in-person and remotely. People warm to you quickly, enabling them to engage in rich and natural conversations with you. You skillfully probe beyond their first response and can uncover deeper underlying insights, motivations, and needs.
- Craft and communicate compelling human-centered stories that articulate an engaging narrative and clear rationale, providing the foundation for designing impactful products, services, and experiences
- Approach every day with a 'we' mindset and willingness to collaborate. You are a natural team player who is comfortable working on multi-disciplinary teams, which may include designers, engineers, developers, business strategists, etc.
- Strong critical thinker capable of seeing the big picture
- You possess deep research skills throughout the development process, and through prior work case studies can demonstrate you are detail oriented and delivery focused
- Strong verbal, written and visual presentation skills
- Can articulate the value of design and user behavior within an existing or emerging business context. You identify and express the critical human centered trade-offs, that inform the team's creative process
Technical Assent is passionate about services – in government, business, and not-for-profit. We design exceptional service experiences, engineer them to be robust, and deliver real capability and business outcomes for our clients. You will be working on government programs that have strategic importance to our client. Your team will work IN and ON the client's core mission – helping them to deliver their services day-to-day while simultaneously looking for opportunities to improve. Our work is Driven by Evidence, Grounded in Understanding, and Focused on Impact.
A Little About Our Culture
We look for these attributes in our teammates.
- Our team combines the creative and the pragmatic to deliver the results that matter most to our clients. We see beauty when art and science come together.
- We seek self-starters, people who are confident in tackling challenges independently and bringing this to high-performing teams. We continually seek feedback from our customers and employees, looking for opportunities to grow.
- We are a small company which gives you an essential voice in shaping our culture. You will help grow our culture, and you will grow from the experience, too.
You will be part of a team to take an improvement concept and transform it into a capability – an asset that provides measurable value to our client's mission. The team will work with users, prototype, develop, and deliver new capabilities. We hold ourselves accountable to impacting outcomes.