What is OffWeGo?
There are a million ways to have fun, but only a few ways to be safe. At OffWeGo we supply universities and study abroad providers with a central platform to keep track of and secure their students’ travels, helping to protect their duty of care, while providing students with better experiences and long lasting friendships. Our mission is to transform needed security behaviors from “have to” to “want to," by applying social interaction, comparison, and gamification principles.
Are you a current undergrad/grad student or recent grad? Are you looking to get some work experience under your belt? Come work for OffWeGo! We understand that there’s a catch-22 when it comes to being a junior developer. You need to have the experience to get the entry level job, but you need the entry-level job to get experience! Skills can be taught, but attitude is what makes someone a good, long-term fit at the position.
We ask our junior developers to have the following characteristics:
- You need to be a great learner. This, hands down, is the most important thing you can bring to the table. You will need to be willing to work hard to learn what you don’t know.
- You need to be comfortable with the unknown. You’ll be doing things that you have never done before. All day, every day. If that’s exciting to you, this is the right fit!
- You should be comfortable with the fundamentals of programming. You will be writing real, production code in your first week on the job. So, you should be familiar with the basics of one or two programming languages. You should have opinions about the “right” way to build things. You don’t need to know the “best” way of doing everything.
- Assist with API technical documentation
- Developing new feature pages using existing components
- Creating intuitive responsive websites & web apps
- Produce “clean” and well-structured code, with detailed specifications
- Collaborate with the team in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Troubleshooting complex queries and performance issues in the development process
- Assist with designing and implementing new features to facilitate related procedures and tools
- Performing quality assurance testing and participating in code reviews
- Troubleshoot, test and maintain the core product software and databases to ensure strong optimization and functionality
- Able to write clean, readable code and perform basic tests
- Proficient in:
Python (Django Framework)
- Experience integrating with third-party APIs
- Committed to dedicating minimum of 10-15 hours a week on projects
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Strong communication skills, deriving technical requirements from non-technical sources
- Understand the fundamentals of user-centered design
- A keen interest in higher education and ed-tech
- Passion for off-campus studies/international education/study abroad
- Basic experience with AWS and/or cloud computing
By the end of the internship The Intern will:
- Gain hands-on entrepreneurial experience with a start-up in Washington DC
- Experience the practical challenges of working in a start-up environment
- Learn how to leverage their academic strengths and personality, and network to add value OffWeGo
- Have a well-rounded view of the pros and cons of working in a start-up environment
- Have an understanding of the structure of the industry that OffWeGo is operating in, its competitive landscape, and changing dynamics
- Have gained experience working in a start-up environment characterized by fluid job descriptions, changing priorities, flat hierarchies, and high requirements on flexibility and engagement
- Have gained experience with the difficulties in managing time and expectations, negotiating tradeoffs, and prioritizing tasks in an ever-changing environment
- Be able to reflect on their personal and professional abilities
This is an unpaid position, depending on institution and requirements, college credit will be awarded.
OffWeGo is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. OffWeGo does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Internship
Pay: $0.00 per hour
Due to COVID-19, we are gearing up for a restructuring and are looking to expand to domestic travel markets... Innovative ideas are highly encouraged!
- Are you currently enrolled in a higher education degree program?
Hours per week:
Visa Sponsorship Potentially Available:
- Yes: Other non-immigrant work authorization (e.g. L-1, TN, E-3, O-1, etc.)
- No: Not providing sponsorship for this job
This Job Is:
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company's Facebook page: