If you're a dedicated local news journalist anxious to tell your readers what’s happening in the community around them, you may be the next reporter to join the East Bay Times and Bay Area News Group.
We’re the Bay Area’s premier news organization, and we’re seeking a reporter to cover a collection of cities in Alameda and Contra Costa County — Alameda, Hayward, San Leandro and Lamorinda – vital communities confronting the challenges of crime, high housing costs, economic disruption and ethnic change.
The reporter in this job will provide primary coverage for our East Bay Times print and online local reports, but publish also in the daily Mercury News and weekly publications including the Hayward Review and Alameda Journal.
You’ll tap into the successes and challenges of local government, from town councils to school boards, and keep a thumb on the pulse of an engaged populace.
Competencies & Skills
If you’re the ideal candidate you’ll have most of these qualities:
- Excellent news judgment
- Strong writing skill under deadline pressure
- The ability to juggle multiple stories of varying complexity
- At least two years of experience as a working journalist
- Regular and reliable attendance is required
- The ability to report in multiple languages in our diverse region is also a plus.
- 4-year college degree (journalism or related fields)
- Two years prior experience
- This job operates in a professional office environment and at the Company and client sites for business meetings and presentations. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This position may be a permanent remote role.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 30 pounds.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $24.04 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location