(Open to Public)
Application Deadline: 11/9/2018
Status: Fulltime Regular Benefit-Eligible
Salary: $58,565 Minimum Annual
Office: Senate Counsel, Research and Fiscal Analysis
Reports To: Tom Bottern - Director, Senate Counsel, Research and Fiscal Analysis
- Provides nonpartisan professional and legal counsel to Senators and staff.
- Works within a nonpartisan office as part of a staff team that includes an analyst, fiscal analyst, and another counsel assigned to the Senate Health and Human Services Committee; topical area assignments include human services welfare programs, child protection services, adoption assistance, child care, mental health, and chemical dependency programs.
- Drafts bills and amendments; reviews and evaluates proposed legislation.
- Responds to questions regarding current and proposed laws, including related legal research.
- Serves as information resource for the Senate in assigned topical areas.
- Law degree and admission to practice in Minnesota in good standing.
- Relevant professional experience desired.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local government organization and functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with legislators and others.
- Ability to draft legislation that accurately reflects legislative requests.
- Ability to provide options for legislative action while remaining objective, nonpartisan, and professional.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent written and oral communications ability are essential.
- Ability to work long hours under extreme deadline pressure.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
Please apply on our website at https://employment.senate.mn/jobs/description/93
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $58,565.00 /year