In a multi-task, broad product environment, independently interviews members to identify opportunities to foster and expand the member’s relationship with VyStar Credit Union. Identifies through the interview process products and/or services that would benefit the member. Educates and effectively offers these products and/or services enhancing the member experience. Appropriately makes referrals to VyStar business partners. Demonstrates support of the credit union’s business plan and their branch’s relationship building and service objectives by promoting top quality, full range products and services, exhibiting a professional, “can do” attitude and providing the highest level of service. Adheres to the Standards of Excellence and behaviors associated with VyStar Excellence. The Universal Member Relationship Specialist I has development expectations through the Member Relationship Specialist certification program. This multifaceted position is essential in establishing VyStar as the member’s primary financial institution. In addition to these duties, this position also performs teller duties as needed in the branch. The approximate mix will be determined by the needs of the branch. This incumbent provides efficient, quality Teller service to VyStar members and VyStar Business members in a lobby or drive in environment. Performs and documents transactions in accordance with applicable federal, state and local statues and regulations. Abides by VyStar policies, procedures and teller balancing standards. Maintains a professional appearance at all times.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS WHEN ASSIGNED AS A MEMBER RELATIONSHIP SPECIALIST:
Effectively interviews members and potential members independently. Asks questions and listens carefully to determine the appropriate VyStar Credit Union and VyStar Financial Group products and services to offer. Presents products and services in a positive, professional and knowledgeable manner, so inquiring individuals can make an informed decision.
Supports VyStar’s mission to become the primary financial institution of our members by providing service in an expeditious and courteous manner. Understands that educating our members and informing them of the products and services we have to offer is the highest level of service we can provide and the key to accomplishing our mission and goals. Strives to meet individual goals by effectively cross selling products and services.
Opens new savings, checking and money market accounts. Verifies personal identification to prevent fraudulent activity. Provides regulatory disclosure information on new and other specific types of accounts.
Processes various types of loan applications, including but not limited to, Auto VIPs, Credit Cards and lines of credit in the Appro System. Has a basic understanding of credit reports and VyStar’s loan agreement for discussion with members. Effectively cross-sells more complex loan products, which may be referred to more experienced member service staff. Also processes applications for share and certificate covered loans.
- 90 days after completing all phases of lending training (approximately one year from on- boarding) , must be able to identify mortgage and home equity lending opportunities during the interview process by reviewing the member’s credit report and asking pertinent questions. Must be able to inform members about current mortgage and home equity promotions, such as a “No Closing Costs” promotion and show members where to find current rates and product information on VyStar’s website. An MRSI must be able to refer potential opportunities to more experienced staff in the branch for further review to determine whether a referral should be made to the Home Loan Advisor or Branch Management handling home equity lending.
- Purchases, renews and redeems certificates of deposit. Performs certificate maintenance as required and rate increases for step-up certificates. Must understand and be able to discuss Truth in Savings disclosure information and provide regulatory disclosures to the members.
- Performs account maintenance, which includes but is not limited to: changes to members personal information such as address and telephone numbers, name changes due to marriage, divorce, etc., adding and removing joint members, check ordering and issuing temporary checks, setting up Magic*Touch and assists with Internet Banking enrollment. Performs ACH and check stop payments. Sets up automatic transfers and cancels or changes them as requested.
- Orders plastics such as ATM, VISA Check Cards and replacement credit cards. Assists members with setting up, changing or discontinuing direct deposit.
- Redeems savings bonds, documents wire transfers and issues cash advances as requested.
- Resolves some member problems independently. Escalates more complex problems or situations to a higher authority for appropriate resolution.
- Processes Fraud and forgery claims and card disputes.
- Closes accounts as requested by members after careful review and discussion to prevent negative impact to the member and/or VyStar.
- Provides notary service to members. Incumbents are expected to become a notary upon successful completion of the probationary period, which requires completion of an online course and application with the State of Florida.
- Opens and closes safe deposit boxes for members. Escorts members to their safe deposit box for entry. Strict adherence to safe deposit box procedures is imperative and expected.
- Acts as Branch Receptionist as assigned.
- Assists the Member Relationship Specialist Supervisor with duties and special projects as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS WHEN ASSIGNED AS A TELLER :
- Incumbent must display a friendly, professional demeanor. Required to greet each member with a smile and refer to the member by name three times while conducting transactions. Uses strong listening skills to understand the member’s needs.
- Incumbent is responsible for handling a cash drawer and meeting balancing standards. Balances cash and checks at the end of each day. Sort checks and transmit checks thru check processor. Exercise judgment and discretion within well-defined limits and work with relative independence to accomplish work tasks and refer questionable and non-routine transactions to supervisor. Researches and resolves any outages before reporting overage or shortages to Lead Teller or Teller Supervisor. Adheres to security procedures. Works cooperatively in a team environment and has appropriate balance between individual responsibilities and teamwork. Incumbent must provide and deliver exceptional service to members at all times.
- Responsible for handling numerous personal and business account transactions, including but not limited to deposits, transfers, and withdrawals. Sells gift cards, credit card cash advances, and redeems savings bonds. Post transactions from night and lobby drop boxes. Will answer member routine questions. Uses each member contact to strengthen and enhance the member’s service experience through continued relationship building.
- Responsible for check proofing. Must validate all checks received during a course of a day. Remain compliant with all VyStar procedures for check holds.
- Builds member relationships by identifying opportunities and informing members of VyStar products and services.
- As assigned may assist in the balancing of the ATMs, branch opening and/or closing, and safe deposit box access.
- Able to effectively navigate the Evolve system to assist members with credit card inquiries.
- Assists members with Internet Banking and Magic Touch questions.
- Responsible for the timely completion of the Currency Transaction Report & VyStar Questionable Activity Report (VyQar).
- Performs other duties as assigned in assisting the branch with daily business.
- Assists with the duties of the Lead Teller and Teller Supervisor as needed.
- Assists with the training of new tellers.
- Research and correct errors on member accounts.
- Assists tellers in resolving difficult or complex problems or issues.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist with researching teller outages.
- Will occasionally lift & carry heavy coin and cash boxes weighing 50 pounds. Incumbent is expected to follow the procedures on the Info Center regarding the proper way to lift heavy objects.
- Incumbent is expected to demonstrate each of the following VyStar Excellence behaviors in performing the duties and responsibilities of their job.
- Focus Focus your full attention by carefully listening to and observing your member.
- Connect Consistently be friendly and approachable. Demonstrate you care.
- Understand Listen empathetically and ask questions. (70%/30%)
- Counsel Recommend solutions based on your member’s needs and objectives.
- Advance Ensure that member's expectations were exceeded.
Verify necessary follow-up action.”
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A minimum of one-year experience in a position of direct member/customer contact is required, preferably in a financial institution. A two year Associates Degree may be substituted in lieu of the experience requirement.
- One to Two years prior experience in cash handling and public contact is preferred. Teller experience with a financial institution is preferred.
- Ability to process financial transactions.
- Must possess and utilize excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must possess and utilize excellent listening skills.
- Must possess and utilize excellent telephone skills.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Must be proficient in the use of the Internet.
- Incumbent must have an outgoing personality and the desire to help people.
- Must be professional in appearance and attitude.
- Must be able to handle many tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess strong critical thinking and decision making abilities.
An AA degree is preferred; however, the minimum formal education required is a high school diploma or its equivalent.
DISCLAIMERS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Nothing in this position description is an implied contract for employment. The position description is intended to be an accurate account of the essential functions. The functions are not all encompassing and are subject to change at any time by management.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
As required or requested, may exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.