Posting Number S00323
Site Location Swainsboro
Full or Part Time Full Time
Number of Months
8-5 Monday thru Friday with occasional evening and weekends
Regular or Temporary Employment Regular
Position End Date (if temporary)
Position Title Executive Assistant to the President
Job Description Summary
Perform, coordinate and oversee office administrative duties of the President’s Office while providing an extensive level of support to the President of East Georgia State College.
- Oversees all facets of the daily operations of the President’s Office and serves as gatekeeper to the President’s Calendar and manager of workflow, with special attention to assisting the President in setting daily, weekly and annual priorities.
- Acts as a liaison between the Office of the President and faculty, staff, students, community, legislators, Board of Regents, University System of Georgia personnel, East Georgia State College Foundation trustees, SACSCOC, and other University System of Georgia institutions in communications as well as scheduling external meetings.
- Assists the President in his role as Chair of the USG General Education Council
o Liaison between the President and the USG Assistant Vice Chancellor for Transitional and General Education and General Education Council members
o Handles arrangements for General Education Council Meetings
Reserves room and equipment needed
Secures catering for meetings
- Payment of catering services
Handles registration and payment for attendees
Maintains roster of committee members
- Prepares minutes during meetings and consults with USG Assistant Vice Chancellor for Transitional and General Education as final minutes are prepared and posted to USG website
- Handles logistics
- Ensures that all meetings scheduled with the President have agendas and supporting materials.
- Assists the President in the preparation of Cabinet and Senior Staff agendas and posts to webpage.
- Prepares minutes following President’s Cabinet meetings and posts to webpage.
- Prepares and/or contributes to the preparation of reports, briefings, presentations and responses on institutional and strategic issues, as appropriate in combination with the Legal Counsel/Chief of Staff.
- Maintains an understanding of the educational programs and operational functions of the College and appropriately implements College policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Coordinates special projects of the President with the President’s Cabinet and Senior Staff.
- Participates with the President, President’s Cabinet and Senior Staff in institutional planning, policy development and problem resolution.
- Works with the Legal Counsel/Chief of Staff in maintaining the President’s Office website.
- Supervises the Administrative Assistant to the President in:
o Maintaining the President’s daily calendar; scheduling appointments; coordinating and scheduling meetings; assisting in planning and hosting special events.
o Answering telephone and greeting visitors; providing information; making appointments.
o Receiving and scanning communication to the President.
o Planning, coordinating and assisting with meetings, conferences and special events.
o Creating and modifying documents and forms.
o Coordinating travel arrangements, including registration for meetings and conferences.
o Ordering equipment and supplies.
- Coordinates with the College’s Event Planner in planning and hosting special events hosted by the President and the College.
- Oversees the process of hiring and managing student workers.
- Organizes and updates department files; produces and maintains minutes of various council and board meetings.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the President.
Knowledge Required by the Position
- Knowledge and understanding of the College’s organization, goals and objectives, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Board of Regents structure and policies.
- Ability to work cooperatively and strategically in a team environment with all levels of faculty and staff is necessary.
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Strong leadership skills that promote productivity, dedication and creativity.
- Knowledge of the importance of confidentiality in operating the Office of the President.
- Knowledge of the mission of postsecondary education.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Knowledge of the functions of the Office of the President.
The President assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include college policies and procedures and supervisory instructions. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
Complexity/Scope of Work
- The work consists of varied management and supervisor duties. The variety of tasks to be performed contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide administrative support to the Office of the President. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of office operations.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, students, vendors, elected and appointed officials, contractors, representatives of other colleges and universities, alumni, business and community leaders, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to motivate or influence persons.
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
- Includes travel to other campuses.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- The position supervises the Administrative Assistant as well as student workers for the President’s Office.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for three or more years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Posting Detail Information
Individuals who need reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 478-289-2035. Deaf and Hard of Hearing callers may access our campus phone numbers by utilizing your state relay service (such as the Georgia Relay Service) or by utilizing Video Remote Services. East Georgia State College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Tobacco-free Institution, Federal law requires ID and employment eligibility verification prior to employment. Georgia is an Open Records state. East Georgia State College (EGSC) is an associate and baccalaureate degree granting, residential, liberal arts state college of the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to both academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of East Georgia State College.
Complete College Georgia
East Georgia State College strives to create and maintain a learning environment maximizing the opportunity for each student to succeed. Each individual student’s academic success is important. Accordingly, every employee of the college has a responsibility to carry out his/her position duties in a manner which enhances the learning environment and communicates that message to students each working day.
This position description describes the specific duties and responsibilities of this position. In addition, each EGSC staff member has the responsibility to contribute as needed to other projects and initiatives to assure that EGSC carries out its mission and attains its vision. This may, from time to time, require active participation on committees or performance of other duties not specifically described in this position description.
Open Until Filled Yes
An offer of employment is contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with East Georgia State College, as determined by East Georgia State College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials, and if applicable, a satisfactory credit check, Motor Vehicle Record (MVR), physical and drug screening.