Location: Asheville, Cary, or Greensboro, NC
Staff Environmental Engineer, Geologist or Scientists are technical full-time positions to support assigned engineers, geologists, or other technical positions in the preparation of draft Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessment reports, participation in design, implementation and reporting for assessment and remediation projects and other related environmental projects. They also assist in the completion of field work and literature review work for geologic and hydrogeologic characterization of sites for environmental, water supply, solid waste, and waste application sites.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct environmental monitoring; including the collection of soil, surface water, sediment, groundwater and waste material samples.
- Conduct environmental surveys pertaining to health and environmental hazards
- Perform emergency response activities.
- Maintain sampling and monitoring equipment in operational condition.
- Oversee subcontractor installation of test pits, soil borings, monitoring wells or excavation work. Install borings with hand auger or DPT equipment.
- Perform maintenance and repair of remediation systems.
- Prepare drafts of written reports, proposals, tables of data, CAD drawings, boring logs, and sampling forms for review by Project Manager.
- Work with project and senior staff to develop an understanding of a project’s scope of work, schedule, and budget. Communicate with site supervisors and contacts to schedule work activities.
- Complete deliverables and project responsibilities within scope, budget, and schedule, reviewing technical documents and reports for completeness and accuracy.
- Follow technical guidance and policies of the Department and Company.
- Analyze technical problems; devise new or improved techniques, approaches, and alternative solutions; and communicate those to supervisor for approval and implementation.
- Participate in scheduled Team meetings and, as needed, project meetings.
- Participate in civic and community events.
- Seek opportunities for cross-selling of WR services to enhance and expand our existing client relationships during and after projects.
Required qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Geology, or Environmental Science, or related field of expertise or equivalent experience.
- 1 to 3 years of experience in environmental consulting; with demonstrated experience in the completion of site assessments, remediation, environmental audits, data interpretation, and report writing. NC experience preferred.
- Technical report writing skills and a working knowledge of NC and EPA regulatory requirements that are applicable to each project assigned. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office applications, AutoCAD, and ArcGIS.
- OSHA Hazardous Site Operations Worker Training (1910.120).
- A valid driver's license and clean driving record is required for this position.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Successful completion of FE or FG exam or ability to obtain within six months.
- NC Licensed Well Driller Certification.
The position will require occasional evening and weekend work. The position also requires outdoor work throughout the year in urban, suburban, and rural settings for the collection of environmental samples, and to observe and document the work of subcontractors. Strict adherence to Health & Safety Plan and WR standard operating procedures in performance of field duties is required. Position may require use of personal protective equipment and air monitoring equipment to minimize the potential for exposure to contaminants. Position may require up to 50 to 75 percent occasional day travel.
Position requires the ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds for short distances, kneeling, walking, lifting, and manually advancing hand operated drilling equipment. Staff Professional must also be able to mix concrete or grout as needed for well construction or abandonment jobs.
Job Type: Full-time
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Other types of insurance
- Employee discounts
- Flexible schedules
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules