The Associate Merchant is responsible for executing the merchandising objectives for a class/subclass of merchandise. This includes, assisting the merchant with creating and maintaining vendor relationships, marketing products, developing product line strategies and reporting financial results. The Associate Merchant assists with making buying decisions for the assigned category and negotiates terms with suppliers to drive item selection and pricing.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
NATURE AND SCOPE:
- 30% Supplier Relationship Management: Assists Merchant with influencing the supplier management strategy to support overall department strategy and works to improve all aspect of supplier relationship. May serve as a key contributor on various other key projects.
- 30%Financial Planning & Management: Assists Merchant with Implementing the financial strategy/ cost structure for a category and sets pricing. May set pricing and strategy for class/subclass.
- 20% Merchandising Execution: Assists Merchant with developing merchandising strategy to understand key business drivers (e.g. historical performance, industry/ competitive landscape, consumer segmentation) May serve as a key contributor on various key projects within a business function.
- 20% Assortment Selection: Assists Merchant with executing the business review of category/ categories on a regular basis; determining changes to product mix to better optimize assortment and drive innovation.
Typically reports to Senior Merchant or Merchant
No direct responsibility for supervising others.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel 5% to 20% of the time.
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Experience with managing regional and national suppliers. Ability to manage sales typically in excess of $400M. Experience managing a business (financial, operational, process, people, technology etc).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in business or related field of study
- Proven experience in merchandising execution, visual presentation, inventory management, channel management, and supplier management.
- Proven proficiency in both a brick and mortar and online retail environment
- Experience managing a large number of vendors simultaneously
- Comprehensive understanding of relevant products to make purchasing decisions
- Advanced understanding of internal and environmental sales drivers
- Merchandising and retail planning expertise
- Strong analytical skills
- Expert communication and negotiation skills
- Project execution skills. ability to negotiate pricing terms
- Ability and willingness to work in a highly cross-functional environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Specialized with Excel
- Ability to work independently