We’re moving the world and driving regional prosperity.
We’re America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Port Houston is a cornerstone of the region’s growth and has people who deliver exceptional results. We have created a work environment that attracts talented, driven people ready to continue our long tradition of excellence. We hold ourselves accountable to reach and exceed our goals and to continually improve everything we do. These are the core pillars, shared by the employees that make up Port Houston. They are what brings us together. They are the foundation of everything we do. How we meet our commitments and fulfill expectations will define our success.
Port Houston is largest port on the Gulf Coast and the only port in Houston. Port Houston is an economic engine that produces jobs and economic prosperity for the local and state economy. We are the proud sponsor of the Houston Ship Channel, and we facilitate and accommodate commerce and navigation.
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Carpenter) (Barbour's Cut)
La Porte, TX
The Facilities Maintenance Technician constructs, maintains, and repairs facilities and infrastructure. Provides essential preventive and repair care in and around the perimeter of all properties with various skilled trades. May serve as supervisor of personnel assisting in the completion of jobs.
- Perform residential and construction grade carpentry work as required
- Responsible for repairs to buildings and railroad tracks
- Repair concrete, asphalt, and floor covering
- Install and/or repair fencing and gates for Homeland Security
- Install/repair, and replace doors and hardware
- Build cement forms
- Install and repair roof / Paint, Sheetrock, and perform various hardware repairs on different types of buildings.
- Perform duties involving moving furniture, storm drain maintenance, and plumbing and various other facility maintenance activities
- Work required scheduled overtime hours and be available for unscheduled overtime when operating requirements or other business needs of Port Houston cannot be fulfilled during regular working hours
- Work a temporary, alternative schedule or shift as requested by supervisor
- Act in accordance with Port Houston core values (respect, excellence, accountability, diligence, and you)
- Perform other duties as required
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- 5+ years maintenance experience required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Port Houston safety rules and procedures
- Knowledge of industrial painting
- Knowledge of general construction
- Certified welding certificates
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Decision-making skills based on Port Houston requirements/needs
- Ability to operate a forklift
- Ability to climb and be comfortable at heights
- A current, valid Texas driver's license is required. Successful out of state candidates must be able to obtain a valid Texas driver's license within 90 days of hire.
- Once selected for employment, federal regulations require that the applicant must either undergo a federal background check as part of the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) program or already possess a TWIC. The TWIC must be obtained within 30 days of appointment, and be maintained for the duration of employment. For further program information, visit: https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
When you take the first step with the Port Houston, you’ve taken the first step in the right direction in your new career path. Get READY!
In return for your hard work and dedication, we will provide you a career with great pay and benefits, training, advancement potential and a whole lot more, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance immediately
- Life insurance
- Career paths
- Defined contribution retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Sick time
How to apply:
- Apply through our Careers page at www.porthouston.com
- All applications must include current resume
Port Houston is an equal opportunity/equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.
A background check will be required for employment in this position.
Port Houston is a drug- and alcohol-free workplace.
This position is designated as a Safety-Sensitive position.
Open Until Filled
Job Type: Full-time
- Carpentry: 1 year (Required)
- maintenance: 5 years (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)