Your Team responsibilities –
Our Chicago office represents one of the key hubs of US GAAP Center of Excellence at MSCI. This role will be responsible for supporting a fast-growing global organization through partnering with key business stakeholders to deliver critical business initiatives and closely collaborate with business partners on financial analysis and forecasting. The candidate will have dynamic responsibilities associated with providing technical accounting guidance for revenue recognition matters pertaining to new customer contracts and new development, under US GAAP, reviewing complex client contracts, establishing operational processes, supporting a timely and accurate revenue reporting and analysis, and month-end closing. This position will also play a critical role in developing and enhancing the revenue accounting team’s policies and procedures, in addition to participating in business-critical projects including the implementation of a new revenue accounting system, M&A activities, and on-going process improvement.
This position will have exciting and unique opportunities to be a key contributor in a high growth and collaborative environment, while continuing to advance his/her career at MSCI’s Finance Controllers organization.
What we will offer you:
Depending on your location of your role, you can expect …
Competitive fixed and variable compensation, holiday/vacation allowance & retirement savings plans/pensions
Employee Resource Groups to support you in and out of the office
A wide range of benefits including – healthcare, dental plans, risk insurances and (location dependent) - cycletowork schemes, gym benefits, retail discounts,
A purposeful approach to Wellbeing including training, support networks, membership to wellness platforms and vendors, and active local office communities
A specific and deliberate planning to the physical offices in which we work, and support for everyone spending periods of time working remotely or at home. This approach mirrors our commitment to transparency and sustainability and puts the safety and wellness of our employees at the center of all we do. We aim to provide productive and sustainable work environments and technology that encourages collaboration, creativity and innovation.
Your key responsibilities –
- Collaborate closely with key business partners, for example, Product Finance, Legal, Sales, Run Rate, Tax, and Billing to deliver critical business initiatives and identify value opportunities
- Review and analyse MSCI’s client transactions to ensure appropriate revenue recognition treatment, perform relevant research, present and document conclusions to be in compliance with US GAAP
- Assess and implement changes to contractual agreements for accounting impacts and potential reporting needs
- Exhibit strong technical understanding of revenue processes to provide perspective on opportunities and solutions for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting and reporting principally related to revenue processes
- Perform financial reporting including key performance indicators (KPI) and variance analysis and provide insightful information on revenue trends
- Perform revenue operations, which includes execution of monthly revenue close, variance analysis, and account reconciliations for revenue and related accounts agreements
- Develop and enhance procedures and policies governing existing and future revenue accounting processes
- Support audits performed by internal audit, external audit, legal entity, and SOX teams
- Contribute and support special projects as assigned, including mergers and acquisitions accounting considerations and drive finance functional transformation projects
Your skills and experience that will help you excel –
3 to 5 years in Accounting or Finance related field and Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Public accounting (Big 4 is a plus) and/or industry accounting experience with multi-national public companies which comply with U.S. GAAP
- Proficient with US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements, including some experience in ASC 606, preferably in Software or Financial Service industry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to explain complex accounting concepts in succinct plain English language
- Proven track record of effectively building relationship with business partners to accomplish critical goals
- Proven track record of strong problem solving, analytic skills, and forward-thinking mind-set
- Team player and desire to work effectively with diverse cultures in a global organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of applications, particularly PowerPoint and Excel
How we’ll support you
Coaching and support from experts in your team
A performance and growth-oriented culture and values
Opportunities for continuous learning to aid progression
Goal based objectives and development plans
Transparent performance-based compensation schemes
Employee resource groups such as the Women’s Leadership Forum, MSCIPRIDE, and Eco-Groups.
About MSCI and our teams:
MSCI is a market leader in Global Indexes, Smart Beta, ESG and Risk Management, and is at the forefront of the secular trends dominating the financial services landscape today. We are committed to the future sustainability and transparency of the financial markets. We create innovative products and services that allow our clients to make more informed investment decisions, and we provide investors with critical performance measurement and risk management data and analytics. Click here to see what we do (link to MSCI brochure)
Our values define the working environment we strive to create. We are inclusive, we champion bold ideas, we always pursue excellence, and always act with integrity. Personal accountability and responsibility are key to success, and we always work as a team to remain client centric.
MSCI is committed to developing a culture and workforce that reflects the clients and communities in which we operate. Increasing our diversity expands our talent pool which helps to accelerate innovation in all we do. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply, including women, ethnic minorities and those in the LGBTQ community.
To all recruitment agencies:
MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law