The mission of Books & Breakfast is to advance educational equity in partnership with Evanston/Skokie School District 65. B&B is a before-school program offering a nutritious breakfast and homework assistance to Evanston students in need of additional support. B&B exists so that every student enters his or her classroom prepared physically, emotionally and academically.
Books & Breakfast envisions an Evanston community in which every child is understood to be a valued and connected part of the community, where every school community reflects this reality, and where every child is able to reach his or her full academic potential. B&B envisions an Evanston community that is actively committed to just and equitable outcomes for all its children.
POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This will be a part-time hourly position requiring 15-20 hours per week, including daily presence at the school site Monday through Friday from 7:30-9:15 am. and Fridays for a team meeting 10:00 am - 12:30 pm.
- The Assistant Site Director will assist the Site Director in managing the B&B Program, which includes but is not limited to:
- Assisting in the supervision of elementary students, Northwestern University student tutors, volunteers and food staff at the morning program.
- Supporting and building relationships with B&B students, school staff and faculty, PTA leaders, parents of children in the program, and community partners.
- Tracking evaluation metrics for the morning program.
- Assisting with the planning and execution of program events, celebrations, and field trips outside of the morning program.
- Providing full supervision of the morning program when Site Director is absent or at other B&B sites.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are a persistent and creative community organizer, skilled at finding common ground with diverse members of diverse communities.
- You are a skilled and willing problem solver who actively identifies areas of concern and enjoys working towards solutions that incorporate input from key stakeholders.
- You value gaining on-going understanding with key stakeholders, looking to learn from parents, fellow B&B staff, teachers, administrators and students in trying to bring B&B's mission and vision to life.
- You are dedicated program manager who excels at handling the details that make a program run smoothly, but never loses sight of the big picture mission and vision.
- You are deeply committed to public education and social justice issues and to affirming the inherent value of all children.
- Bonus points if you have ties to the Evanston community.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- Passion for the Books & Breakfast mission and ability to articulate its philosophy, values and practices.
- Experience in education or school programming, especially in multicultural and socio- economically diverse settings; elementary education and classroom management experience is a plus.
- Experience supporting and working with children and families across a broad level of developmental abilities.
- Experience in volunteer recruitment, training, and management.
- Bachelor's degree or more preferred.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
TANGIBLE AND INTANGIBLE BENEFITS
- Starting compensation is $22.50 per hour.
- A team-oriented environment that sees you as a person, not just an employee.
- A flexible and supportive work environment that cares about your work-life balance.
- A mission driven organization that invites your leadership and partnership in working for equity in Evanston's schools.
- Training opportunities:
- Quarterly supervisory sessions that help you identify strengths and areas for growth while providing opportunities for professional development.
- Team meetings and retreats that equip you to be a better classroom manager, community organizer, and advocate for teachers, parents and students.
- Trainings and workshops led by Northwestern professors, community leaders, teachers, principals, and others that help you better understand the history of Evanston, elementary curriculum, classroom management, and complex issues of equity in education.
- Opportunity for growth:
- This position has the opportunity to be immediately transitioned into a lead Site Director position. The Site Director position has the potential for:
- Competitive part-time salary
- Vacation and holidays: 20+ paid days off annually
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $22.50 /hour
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Are you from Evanston or do you live in Evanston?
Hours per week: