J.P, Morgan’s Public Finance Group’s Midwest Regional office, located in Chicago, is responsible for providing investment banking solutions for the complex financing needs of the firm’s public sector clients throughout the Midwest. Public Finance clients include state and local governments, non-profit healthcare organizations, higher education and cultural institutions and other entities that issue tax-exempt debt. Client teams are based regionally and by industry sectors (Infrastructure, Healthcare, Higher Education, Housing, Energy and Environmental, etc.). The Public Finance Group provides exposure to all aspects of the capital markets by working closely with our sales & trading, underwriting, derivatives, and debt capital markets desks for prospective and live transactions.
Roles and Responsibilities
We are seeking an Analyst/Associate (level dependent upon experience to):
- Develop customized financial models using Excel to develop customized bond financing structures
- Utilize industry-approved third-party programs (DBC, cfX and others) to prepare bond structures
- Perform credit and debt capacity analyses for specific credits based on industry/sector
- Prepare responses to requests for proposals required as part of the solicitation process
- Create and manage debt profiles for issuers/credits
- Evaluate existing debt portfolios for refunding/restructuring opportunities
- Execute bond financings for all issues in which J.P. Morgan participates
- Work closely with all areas of Public Finance, including DCM, various syndicate desks, credit origination and derivatives marketing to pitch municipal clients and execute transactions
- Interact with various professionals in other areas of the firm to facilitate presentation, RFP responses and execute bond transactions
- Prepare presentation materials used by bankers and senior management for client meetings
- Participate in client presentations, as required
- Join in various internal department activities
Candidates should be adaptable, able to manage projects independently and ready to assume a high level of responsibility as a member of a team. You should also be able to work well under pressure in a demanding environment, producing accurate, detailed materials while meeting tight deadlines.
They should also have a well-rounded academic background with coursework in finance or economics and be highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Candidates should demonstrate academic strength at a (minimum GPA of 3.2), strong teamwork, communication skills and a high energy level.
This role requires a minimum of 1 - 2 years or more of working experience with an undergraduate degree from a competitive university or higher, level commensurate with experience.