Mutual Materials is a fifth generation, family owned business that has grown from a single brick plant founded in 1900 into the multi-product masonry company that we are today. Currently we are the leading Pacific Northwest manufacturer and distributor of brick, block, interlocking and permeable concrete pavers, retaining wall systems, pre-packaged mortars and cements, and a full line of natural and manufactured stone. Mutual Materials Company operates in four states, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana, in addition to British Columbia, Canada.
The successful candidate will have a positive, professional demeanor, excellent interpersonal skills and will be able to work independently. The nature of the work will require that the candidate demonstrate initiative and responsibility and be flexible/adaptive to a fast-paced business environment. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee all aspects of the plant manufacturing operations to include: production quotas and analysis, quality control, scheduling of raw materials, equipment trouble shooting, maintenance, inventory control, personnel management and environmental compliance that meet or exceed the strategic corporate initiatives. Important qualifications include knowledge, experience and an appreciation of machinery; along with a strong mechanical aptitude.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains the highest standard of quality and safety in all areas of production from manufacturing to shipment.
- Oversees efficient plant operations related to production and scheduling.
- Manages the schedule and performance of production maintenance.
- Ensures that the plant maintains proper stock inventories. Order raw materials and all parts as needed.
- Holds operation meetings that relate to overall plant goals to include: production efficiency, staffing safety, environmental compliance and facility maintenance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and ideally possess the following:
- A college degree preferred.
- A working knowledge of the programming functions of all current plant systems.
- An understanding of all aspects of concrete production and the types of products produced.
- An understanding of pneumatic & hydraulic processes.
- A working mechanical knowledge of all plant related equipment and electrical components.
- Knowledge of production equipment, production processes and maintenance programs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal professionally with all managers, employees, vendors and customers.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Working computer skills
- May be required to use protective gear and to take other precautions.
- Required to work long hours during peak season.
- The employee frequently is required to walk and stand, sit, climb or crawl around and under machines or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and drive a vehicle.
- Must possess alertness and stamina to work on feet for entire shift.
- Reaches and lifts tools and parts.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, equipment, tools or controls; perform repetitive movements with hands, wrists or feet; and reach with hands and arms.
- Talks to operator, lead man and supervisor prior and during work operation.
- Hearing to help detect malfunctions, odd sounds, grating noises to localize a problem area. The ability to hear phone conversations, in-person conversations under normal office conditions and in a noisy environment outside. Voice and signal warnings while operating and/or working around moving equipment and the ability to differentiate operating equipment sounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- The employee must be able to lift and/or move 50-100 pounds.
DETAILED TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide manufacturing schedule
- Order aggregate for evening production and the next day production usage
- Enter production
- Create all of the pallet tags
- QC/QA for both wet & dry production operations, making immediate adjustments as needed
- Inventory all spare parts and order as needed
- Inventory, track and order all raw materials, to include color, admix, shrink wrap...etc.
- Ensure all maintenance procedures and responsibilities are being followed
- Monitor to ensure all regulatory and safety compliance and practices are being followed and maintained
- Troubleshoot all production and equipment issues/concerns as they arise to reduce/eliminate any production downtime
- Schedule production team for the following week, both active employee and temporary labor
- Create and process all required purchase orders associated with the manufacturing operation
- Provide back up to plant operators in the event you're short staffed and/or to provide relief for breaks
- Review, edit and approve time and attendance records for bi-weekly payroll processing
- Responsible for month end inventory for closing, make all necessary adjustments
- Ensure monthly safety meetings occur and are properly documented
- Assist in review and upkeep on all environmental compliance matters for the entire Gresham site
- Develop and institute a preventative maintenance program
- Develop and foster an environment that encourages employees to provide feedback and increase their own knowledge of operating systems.
- Responsible for all recruitment, hiring and training of new employees and training for new temporary labor
- Assess any new molds that may be required and provide information related to the design and product specifications to management for review
- Provide input on any new capital projects such as, new machinery, process control or general plant upgrades
- Provide ongoing feedback and coaching to all team members to ensure proper onboarding, development and fit for the job and culture is addressed
Job Type: Full-time