To obtain full-time library technician support services for the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Libraries Program in Reston, Virginia. The services provided include: access services, digitization and digital library support, scientific reference research and instructional outreach, cataloging and collection management, and scientific records archiving.
The services in this contract shall support the library’s overall objectives in providing timely service for the circulation and delivery of scientific materials and information, and provision of accessible electronic and archival collections to USGS scientists and the public.
The spectrum of duties for individual tasks may encompass one or more of following types of duties:
- Answer simple or routine inquiries and refers customers requiring professional assistance to subject matter experts.
- Performs searches of the library’s online catalog. Assists in the use of other bibliographic tools, such as the Library of Congress catalog.
- Verify bibliographic information on customer requests. Perform library inventory maintenance, serial check-in, binding of journals, added copy entries in an online catalog environment.
- Assist with collection maintenance, performs shelving of materials, materials processing and simple data entry.
- Assists with interlibrary loans including document retrieval (from internal resources and from some Internet resources), copying, scanning, saving documents as electronic files, transferring electronic files from one location to another, and document delivery. Has basic knowledge of simple searching (author and title searches) in order to perform bibliographic verification and interlibrary loan duties.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Associate's Degree from a recognized college or technical institute with 16 credits in library science or computer science.
- Two (2) years of experience in libraries.
- Has basic knowledge of and some experience with word processing, electronic mail, spreadsheets, and other office automation products.
- Ability to use and explain the library facilities, including catalogs and other reference aids.
- Ability to deal effectively with volunteers and non-professional staff in instructing them in the use of the library.
- Must be familiar with the Online Computer Library Center's (OCLC) national bibliographic utility, OCLC's ILLiad software and ExLibrary Alma Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Must be familiar with LibGuides and online information databases.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00 to $24.00 /hour
- Library: 2 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off