If you have experience in the design and scale-up of biological processes in bio-pharma or biotech, we are looking for you! Do you have a passion for using biotechnology to produce new sources of animal-free protein? Do you want to join a new community of activists, entrepreneurs and scientist, on a mission to create a sustainable food system for our future generations? You will love working with our egg-white protein production process alongside our innovative team at the Clara Foods™ HQ.
As a Senior Process Engineer, you will be leading the development and scale up of fermentation and downstream purification of recombinant proteins. You will primarily be involved in evaluating and optimizing key process parameters of relevant unit operations from the lab to pilot scale, and support technology transfer to manufacturing facilities.
Director, Process Development
Role and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop downstream purification process for recombinant protein production
- Integrate and author end-end process for successful tech transfer and engineering efforts
- Lead and manage tech-transfer, engineering and scale-up efforts at pilot and CMO
- Optimize fermentation processes through design and execution of experiments to deliver an efficient, cost-effective technology package for commercialization
- Help set and execute the strategic and tactical direction in process development and related technologies
- Develop and implement potential novel upstream processes to improve protein production rate, titer, yield and purity
- Perform data analysis to develop understanding of the tradeoffs between process parameters and key performance indicators
- Oversee equipment installation and project engineering, working with vendors, experience with plant utilities, automation & controls
- Develop processes in compliance with appropriate food GMPs and applicable food safety standards.
About Clara Foods™:
- Ph.D. in Bio/Chemical Engineering or related field with 5 years of experience, OR M.S. with 8 years of experience, OR B.S. with 13 years of experience
- Experience in pilot and industrial settings strong preferred
- Deep technical expertise in development, implementation and optimization of fermentation processes that reproduce bench-scale results at the pilot plant and manufacturing scales
- Deep technical expertise in multiple downstream processing unit operations including centrifugation, MF/UF/DF, column chromatography, lyophilization, and spray drying.
- Experience with tech transfer to contract manufacturer at pilot and commercial scale preferred.
- Experience in cGLP, cGMP, HAACP, and other relevant FDA guidelines and norms for food production preferred
- Self-starter with strong organizational, analytical, and general communication skills.
- Comfortable working within a small, collaborative team, passionate about changing the food space
- Able and willing to travel as necessary (domestic and international)
Clara Foods™ is reimagining egg production. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting - and that technology may hold a solution. As much as the growing market demands for egg production exert pressure on hatcheries to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale egg production. Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the chicken out of the equation. We’re bringing an egg white to the table that is produced completely animal-free, uses less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of hen-borne egg whites.