The Storytellers Project Content Intern will join a small but mighty part of the Content Development team within Gannett that operates The Storytellers Project, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK and The Storytellers Brand Studio. The role is being created to provide additional administrative and creative strengths to the team. Current team members include a Senior Director/Founder, Sales Director and additional Digital Marketing Director.
The Storytellers Project and The Storytellers Brand Studio are responsible for creating content and live events that connect people through the art of storytelling. We also sell storytelling consulting services to individuals, brands and non-profits. Our team is dedicated to transparency, inclusivity and rigor.
The Storytellers Project is a nationwide series of live storytelling nights. USA TODAY NETWORK newsrooms curate and host nights of true, first-person stories from neighbors and notables. Journalists coach and prepare community members to share entertaining, illuminating stories for diverse audiences. We believe oral storytelling and journalism serve and reflect a community and develop empathy in that community. Since its founding in Arizona in 2011, more than 4,000 people have told stories in 23 cities.
The successful candidate will be a detail-obsessed creative thinker with marketing or journalism experience. We are looking for an intern to help with creative content development projects - including supporting content creation and management of exisiting content for the Storytellers Project at a national level.
In this role, you’ll develop a key set of skills that range from working within a multinational matrixed media organization to experiencing intra-preneurialism as you contribute to a small start-up-like organization within the company. You’ll work side by side with our content creators and marketing experts to grow a consumer-facing, multi-platform brand with strategy and tactical work.
The purpose of the internship experience is to provide opportunities where college (undergrad and grad) students can develop, grow and become the next generation of talent for Gannett. This program offers mentoring, networking and real-world experience in a fun, entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- Support Storytellers team with variety of projects, both internal and external
- Develop press materials, including press releases, internal memos, pitch letters, recap reports etc.
- Assist in development of content audit
- Provide weekly progress reports to reflect progress and relative success of different content development initiatives
- Participate in calls and meetings with internal and external partners, vendors and distributors
- Support planning, creation and execution of presentations and research
- Create social content for multiple channels
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled at a college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0
- Preferred Majors: Journalism, Marketing, Digital/New Media and Communications, Production/Development
- Strong interest in the news, entertainment and media industries
- Well organized, detail oriented, adaptable and flexible
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills
- Previous internship experience a plus
- Technical skills required for multiple aspects of the role
- Ideal candidates will possess strong Office, PC and Mac skills