Creating Long-Term Value Thru Relentless Innovation®
ATI is a global manufacturer of technically advanced specialty materials and complex components. Our products support diverse markets and industries such as aerospace and defense, oil & gas, electrical energy, medical, automotive, and other industrial markets.
The Senior Research Chemist is primarily responsible for leading the technical problem-solving efforts in Chemical Operations. This includes the departments of Separations, Chlorination, Reduction, Sponge, Hafnium, and Specialty Chemicals. The person in this role will also serve as the technical advisor for teams addressing problems that involve chemical/quality issues in other areas of the facility, such as Thermite, Environmental, and the Analytical Laboratory. Finally, this person will support other ATI business units on chemistry/quality-related topics as needed, mostly on safety risk assessment of potentially hazardous scenarios.
- Lead technical, quality, and chemistry-related, projects that address immediate and strategic problems of the Company.
- Upon receiving a complex problem:
- develop and recommend an approach to resolution
- conduct or lead the experimentation efforts
- analyze and document the results, and
- implement the solution into production
- Coordinate with others to schedule and execute experiments for developing process improvements:
- Utilize lean manufacturing principles when designing manufacturing methods
- Experiments may be conducted in production environment, in lab, or at other sites
- Participate on innovation teams to investigate, describe, evaluate and pursue new products.
- Products may include new alloys, materials, product forms, or processing methods.
- Products may serve new markets or applications with chemicals, ceramics, or metal alloys.
- Development activities may include collaboration with customers, universities, or others.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of processes and capabilities in the Company.
- Develop and maintain understanding of technology associated with ATI's manufacturing techniques, product markets, and material end-uses. Apply knowledge to resolve customer issues and production problems, with a particular focus on chemistry.
- Advise teams that are tackling safety or environmental problems that involve chemistry of raw materials, materials of construction, production intermediates, by-products, or the final products of manufacturing.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Candidate shall be a highly motivated self-starter. Candidate shall proactively identify and address chemistry/quality-related problems within the facility.
- Candidate shall demonstrate an excellent work ethic, taking initiative to resolve problems in spite of ambiguity or incomplete information. Candidate shall apply creativity and independent critical thinking to the investigation of problems.
- Candidate shall possess an uncompromising focus on safety.
Due to the nature of its operations, including certain federal government contracts, ATI Specialty Alloys & Components must track - and in some cases limit employment opportunity based on - citizenship or immigration status. This particular position requires US Citizenship.
ATI and its subsidiary companies will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to applicant's race, color, religion, sex, gender, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected be federal or state law. The company will provide reasonable accommodations to allow an applicant to participate in the hiring process if so requested.
- Masters or doctoral degree in chemistry or a closely related field is required.
- Minimum three to five years of academic experience in a chemistry field, preferably related to metals.
- Additional experience in an industrial setting will be considered favorably.
- This particular position requires US Citizenship.
- Must have the ability to communicate to a broad audience.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal skills to work successfully with a cross functional team.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled