Performs high complexity histocompatibility testing for transplantation, including molecular HLA typing, HLA antibody identification, and HLA crossmatch testing.
- Bachelor's degree B.S. Degree required, preferably in Medical Laboratory Science
Licenses and Certifications
- ASCP - American Society of Clinical Pathologist or ABHI - American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogentics (Candidates who meet educational requirements but are not certified are expected to pass the ABHI certification exam after the first 12 months of employment within 1 Year)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to meet expectations relative to the purpose of the position and perform each essential function satisfactorily, including considerable and current knowledge of principles, methods and techniques of clinical laboratory science, ability to apply technical knowledge with accuracy in the completion of complex tests, and problem-solving capability to assess accuracy of results.
- Performs, documents and reports high complexity histocompatibility testing. Confirms abnormal results and specimen discrepancies. Refers problems with procedure/performance to a supervisor.
- Performs and documents quality control procedures for FDA modified and laboratory developed tests. Performs quality system audits.
- Works collectively with co-workers to ensure that the laboratory meets and exceeds all safety requirements, including but not limited to maintaining temperature charts, equipment logs, control materials, laboratory cleanliness and transportation of hazardous wastes to the department's pick-up area.
- Assists with the management of patient histocompatibility information in local and national databases, including UNOS, NKR, NMDP. Verifies each patient's histocompatibility information throughout the transplant process, including initial candidacy evaluation, ongoing monitoring pre-transplant, risk assessment at the time of transplant, and post-transplant immunologic monitoring.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $33.76 - $50.12 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Washington, DC 20007: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)