Are you looking for Machining work in a state of the art manufacturing center that allows you to pursue a variety of challenges?
Are you searching for a job that provides dynamic and impactful results in the defense of the nation?
Would you like join a team that shares knowledge, encourages learning and career growth, and collaborates to accomplish extraordinary things?
Are you a creative teammate, who loves to be part of the "big picture"? If so, we're looking for someone like you to join APL.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a highly skilled and motivated second shift CNC Machinist to join our team in support R&D programs ranging from of National Security Space to Undersea hardware programs.
As a CNC machinist, you will help us manufacture the next generation spacecraft, undersea hardware, shipboard test systems and communication components. Being part of our team you will have the opportunity to perform programming, setup and machining of precision components. You'll join a multi-disciplinary fabrication team of highly skilled craftsman that support programs varying from R&D prototype to flight hardware that meets AS9100 standards.
The work schedule for this position is from 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM, Monday through Friday (Second Shift). Second shift staff receives a 10% shift differential.
This position is a one-year term with potential to become permanent staff.
As a CNC Machinist...
- Your primary role will be to setup, program, and operation of CNC and conventional machines for end-to-end manufacturing with minimal supervision.
- Perform in-process inspection using precision measuring instruments (i.e., I.D and O.D. Micrometers, calipers) ensuring customer's hardware requirements are met.
- Communicate and engage with customers to achieve end objectives.
- Achieve and maintain proficiency with all applicable quality processes associated with assigned work.
- Monitor and record duration and completion of work performed in Work Management system in accordance with business and Quality procedures.
You'll meet our minimum qualifications for the job...
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Exposure with MasterCam programming software.
- Have 3 years experience with setup, programming and operating a CNC Mill.
- Exposure with Multi Axis machining.
- Proficient computer skills, e.g., Microsoft Office and Web-based applications.
- You are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information.
- Security clearance eligibility requires you to be a U.S. citizen.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.