We invite applications for the position of:
PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER I (ENTRY-LEVEL)
$78,800 to $95,760 annually plus 5.5% Holiday In-Lieu pay
Choice of defined benefit or defined contribution retiree health
Plus a $5,000 signing bonus—$2,500 paid in first pay period
Regular and limited period positions available*
“To work with these men and women and to see their skill and
composure during even the toughest calls make me so proud to be a part
of our Dispatch Unit. This is a team comprised of some truly incredible
people.” – Jenna Cardinale, Public Safety Dispatcher III
About Our Team
- We are a dedicated team of professionals committed to providing excellent
service to the community and we are looking for entry-level dispatchers to join
our fast-paced, team oriented environment.
- The City provides a comprehensive benefits package including enrollment in CalPERS, a generous tuition reimburse-
ment program, retirees health and a $5,000 signing bonus for entry-level hires. More details about benefits are locat-
ed at the end of this brochure.
- We provide dispatchers with specialized training, such as, Communications Training Officer, Fire Incident Dispatch
Team and SWAT Tactical Dispatcher.
- You can review the detailed job description on the City’s website here.
What We Do
- Process over 132,000 inbound and outbound calls a year.
- Select and dispatch emergency response units and monitor field personnel and dispatch assistance for Police, Fire,
EMS and Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District.
- Operate an Intergraph CAD system. and relay information by means of face-to-face contact, telephone, radio and/or
- Make rapid determination of the nature of each call and the degree, severity, and location of any emergency.
- Answer telephone calls promptly and courteously and elicit pertinent information from callers.
What You Bring
- One year of customer service experience
- Equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade
- Ability to type 35 (net) words per minute
(please attach typing cert to application)
- Possession of a California Class C driver license at time of appointment
- A 90% score or higher on the CritiCall Exam is highly desirable
Who You Are
- You remain calm in stressful situations while projecting a professional demeanor.
- You have the ability to receive constructive feedback and apply it in your future work.
- You are passionate about helping first responders and serving your community and would like to bring your strong
work ethic and customer service skills.
- You exercise good judgment and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- You have excellent computer skills and are adaptable with learning new technology.
- You are highly motivated, mature and willing to work weekends, various shifts, holidays, and overtime as required.
CITY OF MOUNTAIN VIEW CULTURAL IDEALS
Empower People· Foster Collaboration· Support Continuous Learning· Enhance Our Community·
Champion Wellness· Lead with Empathy· Embrace Change & Innovation
“This job can be fast-paced or slow, stressful or calm, emotional or impassive – no day is the same. But the one thing
that remains constant is that every day you can go home feeling like you’ve accomplished something and possibly
made a difference in somebody’s life. Doing this job, and working so closely with this tight-knit group of people, is an
incredibly rewarding experience.” -J. Santos, Lead Public Safety Dispatcher
What We Offer
- CalPERS retirement: (2.7% at 55 formula for classic members; 2% at 62 for new members); employees contribute
11.5% for classic members; 10.5% for new members to CalPERS with no Social Security deduction.
- Health Insurance: The City offers a choice of 4 medical plans (two HMO plans, one PPO, and one HDHP/HSA)
through Health Net and Kaiser. The employee premium cost for single heath coverage ranges from $19 to $143 per
month. The City pays the full premium for vision coverage and full dental premiums for the employee as well as a
large portion of dependent coverage.
- Retiree Health Plan: Employees can participate in a defined benefit or a defined contribution retiree health plan.
Vesting for the defined benefit plan is 15 years and the defined contribution plan is five years.
- Special Pay: Holiday in lieu pay (5.5%) added to biweekly salary.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Opportunity to utilize $2,000 in tuition reimbursement for education advancement
annually, with an additional one-time opportunity for up to $20,000 for the completion of a work related bachelor’s
or master’s degree.
- Deferred Compensation: Three deferred compensation plans are available for voluntary employee contributions.
- Other Benefits: City offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), short and long-term disability, life, and
accidental death and dismemberment insurances (paid for by the City), IRS Section 125 flexible benefits or pretax
child care, and commuter benefits. The City also has a gym, a robust wellness program and City sleeping quarters
available to Public Safety Dispatchers.
Are You Ready? Apply.
Submit your application online at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Division, City of Mountain View, 500
Castro Street, Mountain View, CA 94041, (650) 903-6309. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis.
All documents must be submitted with your application:
- Typing Certificate from an approved local agency (online typing certificates will not be accepted)
- Passing CritiCall Exam Score (from within the last 12 months )
We will not accept applications or move applicants forward in the recruitment process for the PSD I position
without a passing CritiCall Exam score. T-scores will not be accepted in lieu of a CritiCall score.
Dates and times for the CritiCall exam can be found at the South Bay Regional Training Consortium
(https://www.eventbrite.com/o/criticall-exams-12070276604). Examples of approved local agencies who can verify your
typing speed can be found here.
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to the following process: Skype interviews (qualifying/
non qualifying). Candidates who pass the Skype interviews will be invited to an Oral board interview (weighted 100%).
Select candidates who pass the oral board interview will be invited to interview with Police Department staff. Depend-
ing on the number of applications, the above process may be altered.
- The City currently has multiple dispatcher vacancies (both regular and limited-period). Limited period positions are currently ap-
proved through June 30, 2019 with potential for renewal on a year to year basis. The limited period PSD I position does not qualify for
the signing bonus.
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should advise the
Human Resources Division upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the re-
quest. The City of Mountain View is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully
pass a medical exam, psychological screening and an extensive background investigation conducted under POST guidelines, includ-
ing a Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprint check, prior to employment. The background process may be expedited if candidate is
currently employed as a lateral with a law enforcement agency. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from
appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
Attention City of Mountain View employees:
This position qualifies under the Referral Incentive Program. A Referral Incentive Form
must be submitted prior to the applicant’s initial interview to qualify for the incentive. For questions, see Administrative Instruction
3-27 and contact Human Resources for more information.