The General Manager in Training (GMIT) is responsible for supporting the GM with management of the entire store operation. The GMIT will ensure the management team executes the organizational objectives, initiatives, and achievement of store and profit goals. Provides assistance to maximize store profitability through managing all controllable expenses, optimizing all revenue streams, and helps lead and develop a high performing team. Help manage the fuel offer where applicable. The GMIT is helps ensure customer and associate satisfaction, brand standards, and profitability. The GMIT will assist with selecting, developing and effectively leading a highly engaged team.
1. Ensure a positive shopping experience for all customers. Respond to customer complaints or inquiries. Solicit customer feedback, input, and information from various sources. Review information and assist with creation of a plan to consistently meet the expectations of all customers.
2. Support the GM with staffing the store appropriately to cover the customer and business demands of a 24/7 business. Proactively identify hiring needs across the store. Share responsibilities for interviewing candidates by following a standard procedure. Consult with store management team in order to make final hiring decisions.
3. Support the GM with allocation of resources, prioritizing and delegating work, and effectively manage time through efficient scheduling and usage of labor hours.
4. Help allocate appropriate and adequate resources necessary for effective training execution as designed. Validate that all associates are trained to perform their jobs safely, effectively and to provide great customer service. Help conduct all aspects of management training. Oversee and monitor the effective training of all associates to ensure proficiency of skills.
5. Assist the GM with creating and sustaining an inclusive store atmosphere by taking intentional steps to understand the diversity of the store team and encourage mutual understanding and respect while promoting a productive, engaged team environment. Value store associates through celebration and recognition.
6. Support the development of associates and store management team through appropriate talent management processes (e.g., performance management, development plans, career conversations, development opportunities). Help provide overall direction and support for team and monitor and assess individual work in accordance with high standards of excellence. Assist with providing feedback, coaching, support opportunities for development, complete performance appraisals, take corrective action when appropriate, and participate in hiring decisions.
7. Assist GM with change initiatives, championing programs and educating associates on the reason and need for change. Ensure programs are executed according to design, integrated and sustained.
8. Ensure conditions across the store meet or exceed standards for safety, service, and overall operational efficiency by analyzing opportunities and ensuring execution of established policies, procedures, practices and programs. Adhere to work designs and implement improvement actions across the store. Manage all safety programs and ensure proper execution and compliance. Report and document all customer and associate incidences in the appropriate time frame. Ensure compliance to all federal and local laws and to all company policies and procedures.
9. Assist the GM to meet or exceed key performance metric targets/projections, help deliver budgeted merchandise gross profit by executing the merchandise plan. Maintain awareness of store-level and organizational financial performance trends to help achieve store profitability. Assist with management of financial plans for the store by reviewing and interpreting financial reports and take appropriate action as required to achieve goals. Ensure execution of all plans.
10. Analyze income statement and utilize reports to help ensure store’s profitability. Help manage inventory to maximize sales, control costs and reduce waste; proactively recognize trends across the store. Manage cash management procedures.
11. Analyze results and trends from audits (internal and external) and recommend appropriate action to resolve/address issues.
12. Build relationships with community partners to connect the store with its community. Use working knowledge of organization’s support structure to help develop support network and make business connections. Proactively leverage tools, resources and information throughout the organization.
1. Ability to work well individually as well as in a team environment
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills
3. Excellent customer service skills
4. Ability to work with little or no supervision
5. Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills
6. Ability to apply a systems thinking approach to complex issues
7. Ability to analyze trends
8. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and independently
9. Excellent interpersonal skills
10. Proven self-starter with demonstrated ability to make decisions
11. Excellent leadership skills
12. Understanding of store finances and awareness of impact to business
13. Demonstrated ability to create action plans and implement change
14. Ability to learn and utilize the store’s technology
15. Must be able to perform the following physical behaviors repetitively throughout a shift: standing, walking, handling, reaching horizontally and grasping firmly
16. Must be able to perform the following physical behaviors frequently throughout a shift: reaching above the shoulder, reaching below the waist, pushing buttons, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, kneeling and pushing
17. Must be able to lift and carry up to 35 lbs.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field preferred
2. Experience selecting, training, performance management of staff, sales building, labor allocation & scheduling, managing expenses
3. Ability to work 35 – 40 hours per week
4. Availability to work all shifts, weekends, and holidays, based on business needs
5. Experience effectively implementing change and demonstrated results in execution
6. Leadership experience in a fast-paced retail, food service, or fuel environment preferred
7. Proven and consistently demonstrated skills in the following:
- Exceptional Customer Service
- Relationship Building
- Effective Communication
8. Ability to relocate as needed preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These statements are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the personnel so classified.