Job Number: 330781
Category: Allied Health
Location: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX
Department: 846105 - 5Th Floor
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
High school diploma or equivalent. Must be able to read, write and communicate in English. Must have one year acute care inpatient hospital experience OR a certified nursing assistant certificate OR certified medical assistant certificate OR completed the first semester of nursing clinicals.
Current BLS. Must achieve validation of required core competencies as maintained by the Hospital Department of Education within 6 months of employment.
1. Collects data to include: Intake and output, weight, temperature, pulse, respirations, and blood pressure. Recognizes and immediately reports values outside normal parameters to the nurse.
2. Reports any changes in a patient's condition or behavior immediately to the nurse. Seeks assistance and guidance as needed to ensure that patient care is delivered in a safe, high quality and effective manner at all times.
3. Responds using AIDET script in all patient interactions to include but not limited to answering in a respectful, positive and timely manner, asks the patient and/or patient's family, Can I do anything else for you, I have the time before leaving the room. Welcomes and orients all new patients, families and visitors.
4. Performs basic hygiene care in accordance with the Department of Nursing policies, procedures and unit standards to include but not limited to pericare, oral care, daily hygiene, linen changes, skin changes, and Foley care .
5. Makes frequent and ongoing patient and environmental rounds to the 5 P's: pain, position, potty, possessions and plug. Informs patient of next rounding time. Patient rarely finds it necessary to use the call light.
6. Documents patient information accurately in the patients room real time upon receiving the information. Notifies nurse of abnormal values in real time .
7. Transfers, and transports patients safely and in accordance with the Department of Nursing policies and procedures, with concern for age-specific and safety considerations. Safety considerations include but not limited to the patients privacy, appropriate footwear, gait belt and applicable transfer/lift equipment utilized.
8. Initiates service recovery and immediately escalates patient, family and visitors concerns through the chain of command. Maintains the commitment to our patients and to each other through the Guiding Principles.
9. Reports to work dressed per Department of Nursing policies, procedures and unit standards fully prepared to provide patient care. Assumes accountability for all actions in the workplace.
10. Orients new staff and students to work areas. Collaborates with other nursing staff and hospital employees to create an environment that is conducive to the retention of qualified personnel.
11. Mandatory education requirements are 100%, less than 100% will net a score of 1. Staff meeting attendance requirement 80%, less than 80% will net a score of 1 and more than 80 % will net a score of 3. Attendance is required at the PCT educational updates, attending 50-89% will meet standards, 49% or less will earn a score of 1 and 90% or more will earn a score of 3.
12. Utilizes downtime to assist others and/or to provide additional amenities to patients and/or patients families. Completes other duties as assigned. Performs in the role of sitter as needed, documents as required.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.