Job Description & Duties:
This a key & strategic position to a small chemical manufacturing, niche technology company (23 years in business). AMSA’s main business is serving the industrial cooling water treatment industry. AMSA serves both domestic and international customers and provides hands-on experience in international business.
Consequently, the position includes not only general accounting duties, including purchasing and supply chain tasks, but specific export/import related duties.
Being a science & technology focused company, this new team member must have a strong willingness to read, research, learn, and be self-directed.
- is full time
- consists of both General Accounting and Export/Import
- reports to the Controller
- offers a challenging variety of experience and learning opportunities
- will desire to learn all aspects of a small manufacturing business
AMSA Inc. is a small, privately owned specialty chemical manufacturer viewed in the marketplace as an R&D driven chemical technology company. AMSA Inc. is a highly matrixed, inter-disciplinary work environment. This position will be required to fit into a diverse, multi-cultural setting.
AMSA, Inc. was established in 1996 in Midland, MI and is today headquartered in Auburn, MI, with facilities in Bay City, MI. AMSA has served the industrial cooling water treatment industry for 23 years, winning an industry award in 2009 for Best Supplier of the Year. AMSA serves both domestic and international customers with exports to many countries such as China, Philippines, Mexico, Canada, EU, and South America. Its customers are industrial cooling water treatment service companies, chemical blenders/formulators, and geothermal electric power producers.
Main responsibilities for this position are as follows:
- General Business Accounting: Complete accounting tasks related to accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash, hard copy/digital filing, and sending out specialized product quotes. These tasks are completed for both domestic and international customers.
- Purchasing & Inventory: Work with production staff to keep track of inventory for raw materials, finished products, office and packaging supplies. These items are also purchased and reconciled by this position.
- Export/ Import duties: This position includes playing a key role in the entire export/import process for international orders placed with AMSA, and orders from AMSA to overseas companies for raw materials. This would involve knowledge of, or willingness to learn, export documents, supply chain and logistics, and metric conversions involved in doing international business.
- Communication: Communicate with domestic and overseas customers and suppliers regarding inbound and outbound orders.
- Support Year End Duties: Help with completing year-end duties related to trial balance reconciliations, tax preparation, data compilation and new-year set up.
- Prepare Data Reports for Decision Making: Pull key reports and organize information from quick books and other accounting related files to support decision making by the management and marketing and sales teams.
- General Office Duties: Coordinate access and clean secure areas, open and answer mail, support building administration duties.
- Back-up Support for order processing: Understand the key processes in completing an order to support invoicing and provide back up to the order processing department for both domestic and International orders.
- A bachelor’s degree with an accounting major.
- Minimum of 3 years previous experience in the accounting field.
- Working knowledge with Quickbooks or equivalent, billing procedures, and order fulfillment is preferred.
- Experience working at a CPA firm or accounting experience with a manufacturing company is preferred.
- Proficient in MS Word, Outlook and especially proficient in Excel.
- Experience in export & import processes and documents would be beneficial, but not necessary - will be required to become proficient with self-directed learning and supplemental training.
Pay & Benefits:
- Salary range $55,000 - $70,000 (based on experience).
- A Blue Cross/ Blue Shield Heath Care Plan is provided for the employee after 90 days of employment.
- Bonus plans that rewards team and individual performance.
- Retirement/Savings Plan – A Simple IRA plan with company matching.
- Vacation – Paid vacation commensurate with years of service.
Skill Sets Required:
The job is data oriented and includes elements of cost accounting. The candidate must have:
- Ability to create and manipulate Excel spreadsheets with multiple sheet linking and formulas is essential.
- Ability to problem solve and work in a team setting.
- Ability to communicate with domestic and international customers/suppliers via e-mail and telephone.
- Possess above average written and verbal communication skills.
- Comprehensive grasp of bookkeeping and accounting rules.
- Complete mastery of, and use experience with Quickbooks or equivalent accounting software.
Qualified applicants will be confident, well organized, detail oriented, and able to present data in a clear succinct fashion.
Tests will focus on software knowledge (such as Microsoft Word and Excel), and other skills that are required for the job, such as following instructions, multitasking, verbal reasoning, standard bookkeeping/ accounting skills, etc.. Candidates who progress to the testing phase will also be given some real world problem testing.
- A high degree of personal accountability
- A high level of personal maturity is expected
- Flexible and willing/able to learn independently
- Highly self-motivated to learn new areas
- Strong problem solving skills
- Effective listener
- Able to work well under pressure and multi-task efficiently
- Able to take direction, but also be able to be self-directed at times
- Able to follow procedures closely, pay close attention to detail and double-check work regularly
- Have a personal vehicle and valid drivers license
- Conform to a non-smoking including no-vaping environment in the office and on associated properties
- Able to work paid overtime (if necessary)
- Agree to random drug testing. AMSA has zero tolerance for substance abuse
Note: This is a highly confidential position. A full background check will be performed before a candidate is hired. Once employed, this position will be subject to a high level of checks and balances and spot audits.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year
- QuickBooks: 1 year (Preferred)
- Excel: 3 years (Required)
- Microsoft Word: 1 year (Preferred)
- Accounting: 3 years (Required)
- Driver's License (Preferred)