Recruitment/Posting Title Project Engineer II ( Multiple Positions Available)
Job Category Staff & Executive - Project/Program Management/Planning
Department Engn- Ctr Adv Infrastructure
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root nearly 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Project Engineer II for The Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation. This position reports to the Director of the Rutgers Asphalt Pavement Laboratory (RAPL) and the Principal Investigator for the Pavement Support Program. The Project Engineer II works independently with minimal supervision within self-defined objectives of the Center and with a specific focus on the PSP Program. This position establishes a framework for development with transportation research, evaluation projects and processes under the supervision of RAPL. This position requires advanced knowledge and the demonstrated ability to implement pavement management products for use in pavement management systems, transportation-related noise measurement and analysis. The Project Engineer II also has prior experience in transportation infrastructure impacts on the environment and working knowledge of Life Cycle Cost assessment and analysis.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Designs, performs, and facilitates professional level research grade experiments and research activities using various equipment and techniques associated within this area of research including but not limited to; computer networking, mathematical programming, SQL databasing, mechanical, pneumatic, servo-hydraulic and nuclear.
- Carries out routine and non-routine work with review of work outputs by the Director of the Rutgers Asphalt Pavement Laboratory (RAPL Obtains funding by seeking out and approaching potential research sponsors/clients.
- Develops and promotes economic research products and capabilities for the clients and the Center, and reinforces existing client/sponsor relationships.
- Develops research budgets and performs both qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis. Is responsible for report and proposal writing and general administration within the Center.
- Serves as PI or may assist a PI to develop original research plans, schedules, and protocols to ensure successful completion of assigned projects.
- Implements appropriate methodologies while directly or matrix managing project teams conducting the research.
- Writes technical reports, journal article submissions, and prepares conference presentations.
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift Day
Annual Minimum Salary 63468.000
Annual Mid Range Salary 80334.500
Annual Maximum Salary 97201.000
Standard Hours 37.50
Union Description Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a scientific field and an equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of calibration, operation, and basic maintenance of highly specialized laboratory equipment including but not limited to; acoustic monitoring equipment, nuclear gauges, pavement profilometers, data acquisition systems, and pavement performance equipment.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in pavement materials, pavement design and pavement management, and demonstrated a sound understanding of basic computer programming, mathematical programming, SQL databasing, and standard laboratory equipment and techniques associated within this area of research.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of pavement related ASTM, AASHTO, and ISO specifications required.
- Requires significant knowledge in the discipline of environmental sustainability in the construction/transportation field.
- Ability to supervise and manage undergraduate and graduate students.
- Excellent communication, technical writing, and presentation skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Occasional-to-frequent travel within New Jersey and out of state to attend meetings, conduct data collection, and facilitate with training.
- Use of personal vehicle in order to travel for business demands; a valid driver’s license would be required for this position.
- Experience with developing and publishing technical reports and peer-reviewed journal articles and conference proceedings.
- Experience in presenting technical information at technical meetings and conferences.
- Advanced knowledge in acoustic measurement, solar reflectivity measurement, pavement management and data analysis.
- Knowledge in pavement design and pavement performance testing.
- Experience in a higher education environment highly valued.
- NJSAT Asphalt Plant Technologist certification.
- Previous interactions with transportation agencies such as NJDOT and/or FHWA.
- Active participation in transportation materials related professional organizations
- Previous interactions with transportation agencies.
- Experienced in organizing and supervising research studies and staff.
- Experience with Matlab, Adobe Design Suite, AutoCAD, as well as ArcMap.
- AutoDesk, AutoCAD, ESRI ArcMAP, National Instruments LabView and Adobe Design Suite
- Accelerometers, Servo-hydraulic actuators, Data Acquisition Units and Solar Reflectometers
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Posting Number 18ST2447
Posting Open Date 07/31/2018
Special Instructions to Applicants
Regional Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus Busch (RU-New Brunswick)
Location Details Piscataway, NJ, 08854
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.