Are you passionate about delivering meaningful impact from APL’s innovations?
Do you enjoy engaging with startups and new business ventures?
Do you enjoy working both technology and business issues?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our Technology Transfer team at APL.
We are seeking a senior-level, highly motivated Technology Commercialization Manager to join the APL's Legal and Commercialization Branch, to help us manage and license a portfolio of space-related engineering and science, information processing, and other technical intellectual property by analyzing, recommending, and implementing IP protection and transfer strategies.
As a Technology Commercialization Manager, you will:
- Create a strategy to manage space-related and other information processing, engineering and physical sciences technologies. Perform research and analysis on a variety of issues including patent trends, innovation, technical issues, and technology transfer topics of importance to APL.
- Work closely with APL inventors, APL leadership and the other technology commercialization managers to assess, market and license APL intellectual property to industry, negotiate directly with licensees, and close high-value license agreements. Support APL efforts to create new start-up companies.
- Partner with APL patent counsel to secure and maintain intellectual property protection for relevant inventions within the portfolio. Provide guidance and help shape the future of APL’s intellectual property portfolios to align with both APL strategic goals and industry needs.
- Leverage Technology Transfer's engagement with industry and investors to stimulate innovation, present new business and research opportunities, and promote staff engagement with the commercialization process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, computer science, or other physical science or engineering field with 10 years of industry and technical experience.
- Experience in technology licensing and IP management.
- Strong leadership, communication, research/analytical, organizational, creative, and problem solving skills required.
- The capacity to positively and proactively interact with APL inventors, APL management, and industry contacts.
- Proven ability to prioritize IP and assess its impact, generate licensing opportunities, negotiate terms, and execute agreements.
- Ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- The ability to travel up to 10%.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- Experience working in the Commercial or New Space environment.
- An advanced degree, such as a MS, Ph.D. or an MBA.
- Experience in marketing and communications campaigns, especially related to technology marketing.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.