As one of the highest performing charter networks in New York City, Classical Charter Schools is having a meaningful impact on education in the South Bronx. Recognized as a National Blue Ribbon Award-Winning network, Classical Charter Schools outperforms 85% of New York charters by providing a transformative education through a curriculum that includes art, music, Latin, debate and character education.
The Literacy Specialist is a teacher who provides targeted, small-group literacy instruction school-wide to our scholars who are the most at-risk of not meeting grade level literacy standards. Like all our teachers, the Literacy Specialist shares the undying belief that maximizing student achievement is the primary goal. Our teachers have a razor-sharp focus on the school’s mission and the drive to meet their key responsibilities:
- Leading all scholars to gap-closing academic gains in literacy. Scholars must achieve mastery and advanced mastery of grade-level Common Core State ELA Standards to succeed to and through college.
- Establishing and maintaining a “no-excuses,” highly ordered classroom culture where scholars demonstrate respect, responsibility, caring, trustworthiness, fairness, and citizenship.
The LiteracySpecialist works relentlessly to achieve these challenging, mission-critical goals. Successful LiteracySpecialists:
- Use data-driven, small group instruction to lead scholars who are below grade level in reading to master daily standard-aligned objectives.
- Revise lessons for clarity, rigor and relevance, with guidance and support from instructional coaches.
- Collect and analyze academic data to pinpoint scholar needs for small group instruction, typically with guided reading and phonics.
- Collaborate in teams and with coaches to resolve challenges and implement instructional improvements driven by quantitative and qualitative data.
- Proactively seek and implement feedback from instructional coaches to improve their practice.
Above all, our teachers care deeply about their scholars, who inspire them to achieve life’s greatest joy: doing good work well.
- NYS Teaching Certification.
- Track record of leading students to significant and measurable gains in literacy.
- Masters level education in literacy a plus but not required.
- Demonstrated application of our core values: Accountability, Innovation, Professionalism, Rigor, Tenacity, Transparency, and Urgency.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave