Micron Technology’s vision is to transform how the world uses information to enrich life and our commitment to people, innovation, tenacity, collaboration, and customer focus allows us to fulfill our mission to be a global leader in memory and storage solutions. This means conducting business with integrity, accountability, and professionalism while supporting our global community
As an IT Systems Administrator at Micron Technology, you will support the acquisition, installation, maintenance, and administration of Micron’s core computing environment (servers, storage, operating systems and infrastructure). These systems are host platforms for Micron’s management, file, print, database, remote access, mail, web, manufacturing, and application (client/server) systems. System Administrators specialize in hardware and operating system support, user support, account and permission management, and the performance management, security, and tuning of systems. You will work with Micron’s Business Units to ensure solutions meet or exceed business requirements. You will be expected to suggest, promote and leverage published standards to minimize environment complexity and ensure regulatory as well as license compliance.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Define, design, and implement core system hardware and operating system solutions.
- Define, in conjunction with users and service providers, functionality required to support business strategies.
- Work with customers to gather requirements, and propose, engineer, and provision system solutions.
- Research and partner with vendors and management to select products that best meet company needs.
- Manage system setup and standardization of features and usage.
- Install, configure, support, and maintain hardware and operating system solutions.
- Create system documentation, testing, training, and post-deployment assessments.
- Maintain systems by keeping them tuned and compliant with company standards for optimum performance and capacity utilization.
- Maintain systems with the current OS, and software and firmware patches and upgrades.
- Maintain standards of operations, such as backups, naming standards, and configurations.
- Coordinate planned downtime and software installs of your assigned servers.
- Communicate system status and coordinate maintenance activities.
Support day-to-day operations and provide customer support.
- Provide 24x7 on-call technical support and expertise for customer issues and service provider escalation.
- Monitor the environment for potential system issues and resolve appropriately.
- Adhere to the change management process for any planned maintenance, or when potential issues are identified.
- Provide training for new team members, computer services staff, and external support teams.
- Coordinate vendor-specific support and problem resolution.
Ensure the operational health (Security, Availability, Performance, Interoperability and Reliability) of Micron’s core computing resources.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and standards, and ensure conformance.
- Plan and implement strategies for minimizing service outages, and for reducing the impact of such outages on business operations (i.e., availability, contingency, and disaster planning).
- Adhere to Micron’s established processes and policies.
Continually work to improve operations.
- Define and adhere to established service and operational level agreements.
- Collect, monitor, report, and interpret operating metrics.
- Evaluate and test new software for compatibility with the computing environment.
- Propose and implement system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Identify service improvement opportunities.
Provide system security and access.
- Partner with service providers and other IT teams to maintain user accounts, login scripts, user profiles, group additions, and renames.
- Adhere to Micron’s security policies for all managed services.
- Regularly audit systems to ensure they are meeting compliance requirements.
Evolve the computing environment to meet future demands.
- Analyze operating statistics and project future demands for service (i.e., capacity planning).
- Benchmark best practices where appropriate.
- Develop cost-effective solutions.
- Communicate and collaborate with peer groups (enterprise architects, security team, network team, etc.).
Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- Computer Science
- Engineering - Computer
- Engineering - Electrical
- Related field of study
2 years experience in any of the following:
- Working with network architectures, TCP/IP, name resolution and directory services
- Working with SAN and NAS storage, system backup processes, Fibre Channel switches
- Working with Microsoft Windows Server, Solaris, or Red Hat Linux operating systems, VMware, Citrix, utilities, monitoring tools, and commands
- Supporting a networked PC environment, running the current Windows environment or similar workstation
- Working with Enterprise class server hardware technologies leveraged in a data center
4 years experience in any of the following:
- Scripting (VB script, PowerShell, PERL, Python, Bash, etc.) or other programming
- Working with complex integrated server solutions such as SharePoint, SQL Server, LDAP, Exchange, etc.
- Working with ITIL Processes and Business Process Management
2 – 3 times per year
1 – 2 weeks
- 8+ hour shift, 5 days a week,
Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Occasional mornings, nights, and weekends to meet international time zones.
As the leader in innovative memory solutions, Micron is helping the world make sense of data by delivering technology that is transforming how the world uses information. Through our global brands — Micron, Crucial and Ballistix — we offer the industry’s broadest portfolio. We are the only company manufacturing today’s major memory and storage technologies: DRAM, NAND, NOR and 3D XPoint™ memory. Our solutions are purpose built to leverage the value of data to unlock financial insights, accelerate scientific breakthroughs and enhance communication around the world.
Employee Rewards Program, Healthcare, Paid time off (Combined Sick and Vacation Time), Retirement savings plans, Paid maternity/paternity leave, Employee Assistance Program, Professional development training, Workplace wellness programs, Micron Health Clinic (Boise only), Fitness Center / Activity rooms (Boise only), Tuition Reimbursement, Micron Corporate Discounts, Casual Dress attire.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, discipline and provide other conditions of employment without regard to a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, veteran’s status, or other classifications protected under law. This includes providing reasonable accommodation for team members' disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.
Each manager, supervisor and team member is responsible for carrying out this policy. The EEO Administrator in Human Resources is responsible for administration of this policy. The administrator will monitor compliance and is available to answer any questions on EEO matters.
To request assistance with the application process, please contact Micron’s Human Resources Department at 1-800-336-8918 (or 208-368-4748).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
For US Sites Only:
To request assistance with the application process and/or for reasonable accommodations, please contact Micron’s Human Resources Department at 1-800-336-8918 or 208-368-4748 and/or submit: Job Information Request Form to: TJA@micron.com.
Manassas || Virginia (US-VA) || United States (US) || Technology Development || Experienced || Regular || Information Systems and Technology || Not Applicable ||