Loon ( http://www.loon.com ) is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. Loon is built on a sophisticated system of products and services that combine advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems. These platforms enable Loon to harness the stratosphere, transforming global connectivity and creating endless possibilities for new applications by bridging ground, sky and space.
Loon's Test Team is looking for an adventurous and cross-functional engineer to tackle some big challenges as an intern. Most of the work will be Mechanical Engineering-focused to design and build test fixtures for various applications across Engineering, Reliability, and Production environments. Our team also develops test software for these test applications so there will be plenty of opportunity to develop and automate Python-based software for hardware tests as well. Combined, these test fixtures and software automation are used to ensure all of our cool Loon hardware works before launch!
We seek individuals who are self-motivated, will thrive on design freedom, comfortable operating in ambiguity, and likes to solve big problems!
- To be eligible for Loon's Intern/Co-op Program, you must currently be pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's/MBA, or PhD degree with at least one remaining quarter or semester after completing your Internship or Co-op program in 2020.
- Design mechanical test fixtures for various flight hardware in engineering, reliability, and production environments
- Write and automate software applications for hardware tests to ensure flight hardware conforms to engineering specifications
- Assist debugging of complex Hardware/Software issues encountered during development
- Currently working towards a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Software Engineering or a related discipline
- Experience in SolidWorks and mechanical design
- Experience in Python software development
- Strong problem-solving, project management, and analytical skills