The selected Specialist will serve as a liaison to departments within the organization, providing dedicated, innovative communications consultation, support and problem-solving assistance. Specific responsibilities include:
- Meeting regularly with department staff to discuss project details, issues facing the department and key information that needs to reach the public;
- Using sound judgment to develop multi-faceted, proactive communications strategies to meet departmental needs;
- Building strong relationships with departmental staff and the media to engender mutual trust;
- Coordinating responses to media inquiries efficiently with information that is accurate and within the boundaries of public records laws and privacy laws;
- Pitching story ideas to reporters, editors and assignment managers to generate positive media coverage about the county;
- Drafting clear and concise news releases to share timely and accurate information with media and the public;
- Conducting research to write speeches and talking points that clearly explain the topic and highlight the county’s key messages while engaging the audience in a meaningful way;
- Drafting and distributing memos and email updates to the Wake County Board of Commissioners, senior staff and department employees about important topics and issues;
- Effectively using social media tools to raise awareness, generate conversation and engage the public daily on relevant topics in a mindful way;
- Working with the Digital Media and Design Services team to generate marketing collateral, using video storytelling capabilities and web tools to share important messages with the community; and
- Leading communications efforts associated with events that showcase important project milestones, demonstrate how our services benefit citizens and educate the public on important initiatives.
This specialist will also manage the Communications Office internship program.
Specific duties include:
- Recruiting interns to work in the Communications Office in areas including writing/external communications, graphic design and video productions.
- Coordinating onboarding, schedules and day-to-day duties of interns. Providing feedback on interns’ work.
- Developing relationships with college internship coordinators to establish a pipeline of qualified interns; and
- Serving as a professional reference for interns when appropriate.
Please note this position requires intermittent on-call rotation that requires a response time of one hour to downtown Raleigh.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Competencies •Exceptional communications, public relations and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with clients, employees and news media
- Strong writing skills that can vary in tone and style, based on the audience and platform
- Comfort writing and proofreading in Associated Press Style
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and exercise discretion and sound decision making when handling sensitive information or documents
- Ability to operate a personal computer, with skills in programs including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to operate a still camera, common mobile devices and social media platforms
- Understanding of website, graphic design and animation concepts
- Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Proven project management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize to meet all deadlines
- Strong initiative to lead a project or campaign from start to finish with minimal oversight, while understanding when to ask questions or seek approval
- Ability to successfully motivate others to achieve a common goal
- Ability to translate large amounts of complex information into easy-to-understand communications materials that get people’s attention
- Ability to facilitate meetings and deliver presentations in a professional, inclusive and engaging manner
- Ability to be organized and focused on small details and the big picture at the same time
- Creativity and the ability to brainstorm ways to effectively evoke positive change
- Commitment to superior customer service, innovation, efficiency and effectiveness