The City of Chandler Police Department is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill two vacant Crime Scene Technician I's. This position is required to work various schedules to include days, swings, nights, weekends and holidays.
The primary function of an employee in this class is to collect, document, and process crime scene evidence for the Police Department. This position is an entry-level position to learn the techniques and practices of technical evidence collection and crime scene documentation. May include working with higher-level Crime Scene Technicians. Some latitude is granted to the employee but work is subject to periodic performance audits and annual evaluations.
Essential Functions (list not exhaustive):
- Responds to crime scenes for technical police support;
- Processes and investigates crime scenes to record, document, and collect physical evidence, including fingerprint evidence, using cameras, measurement techniques, and special physical evidence procedures;
- Recovers and searches for latent fingerprint evidence for personal identifications;
- Performs presumptive chemical tests to determine the presence of blood evidence;
- Performs proper collection, preservation, and packaging of different types of evidence;
- Provides expert testimony relative to the work performed in court and other legal proceedings;
- Writes reports and completes all paperwork associated with crime scene investigations;
- Prepares multiple photo sheets with "mug" photographs of crime suspects plus other persons whose photographs are filed in laboratory;
- Produces print/impression evidence by casting and/or photographing to scale impressions to use potential physical evidence as investigative aids.
- Associate's Degree in Forensics, Criminalistics, Chemistry or related field;
- Some photographic experience or training;
- Valid Arizona Driver's License with acceptable driving record; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Oral board interview
- Background interview
- Interview with the Police Chief
The positions available are regular full-time positions and subject to a one (1) year probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for six (6) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler Police Department conducts pre-offer drug/alcohol test and background checks as a condition of employment. All offers of employment are contingent upon acceptable results. The examination process may vary if determined necessary. Any applicant not permanently disqualified, may reapply at the next open recruitment.
The City of Chandler is an Equal Opportunity & Reasonable Accommodation Employer.