Summary: Plan, coordinate, implement, and execute corporate InEight Hard Dollar estimating software and provide all estimating and proposal deliverables for right-of-way (“ROW”) and Power Delivery projects with all types of contracts ranging from time and materials, unit price, and lump sum while providing technical and administrative direction to ensure division, group, and corporate objectives are met while developing and maintaining lasting relationships with clients, vendors, and subcontractors. Executes our Core Values and Priorities – Integrity, Safety, Quality, and Production to guide our business practices that ensures P&J is committed to a Zero Incident Philosophy of no harm to person, property, the environment, or our reputation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and overall responsibility for the division estimating team that has both estimating and execution responsibilities.
- Maintain a professional appearance with the ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Define problems, collect information, and establish facts to provide an appropriate resolution. Support division, group, and corporate executives to determine what projects to bid, project types, winning strategies, estimating techniques, and implementing best practices.
- Prepare, maintain, and update division bid schedule.
- Lead pre-construction meetings and generate weekly and/or monthly meeting documents.
- Lead pre-construction efforts through pre-bid meeting attendance, performing quantity take-offs, obtaining material pricing, preparing scopes of work for subcontracts and obtaining subcontractor pricing, estimating projects to prepare detailed, efficient, and accurate bid proposals.
- Reading and understanding the request for proposal and corresponding documents including the specifications and drawings to ensure proposals are submitted timely by the required proposal due date and time.
- Scheduling and conducting bid review meetings and assessing project risks.
- Evaluating and determining DBE, SBE, MBE, WBE requirements for proposals and ensuring application of all required good faith efforts.
- Review and incorporate historical cost, unit, and man-hour data from purchase orders, subcontracts, and internal productivity analysis reports.
- Coordinating scope of work and/or discipline reviews with estimators, superintendents, and/or project managers to assist with final crew assembly and production.
- Review and incorporate the project schedule requirements into the bid and proposal to include the appropriate production and/or quantity of crews to ensure the project is completed on time. Assigning allowances, contingencies, bonding requirements, general expenses, small tools and supplies, mechanical services, onsite equipment transportation, per diem, project management and supervision, and other overhead and indirect costs to estimates that are incorporated into the final proposal based upon specific project requirements.
- Prepare, review, and/or modify final bid form and proposal in detail for accuracy and compliance with the request for proposal.
- Setup, organize, update, and maintain electronic and printed files of working documents.
- Maintain, update, and review estimating software libraries to include labor, equipment, materials, overhead, indirects, and crew assemblies as required.
- Attend and/or provide additional training on estimating software regarding changes or updates as required.
- Establish pre-construction objectives, procedures, and performance standards within the limits of the group and corporate policy.
- Monitor/control estimating schedule and process through communication with executives and estimators to ensure proposals are submitted on time.
- Provide technical assistance to include interpretation of drawings and recommending construction methods.
- Develop scope of work and project schedules in Microsoft Excel, Project, or Oracle Primavera P6. Develop, submit, track, and maintain all pre-construction submittals and requests for information. Build and maintain solid relationships with clients, suppliers, and subcontractors.
- Participate in presentations to group and/or corporate management as well as clients or project developers and/or owners.
- Tracking and conducting post-proposal activities to include collecting, assembling, and archiving all original and final proposal documents to include takeoff quantities and assumptions in the designated corporate electronic file location.
- Providing, coordinating, and organizing proposal and estimating documents through turn over to the project execution team to include setting up an agenda and facilitating a turn over meeting from estimating to execution.
- Preparing and distributing results of proposals, establishing and maintaining a historical cost database, and tracking estimating hit rates versus final project gross profit margin and other data to generate internal metrics.
- Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts and change orders as required.
- Assume additional responsibilities as directed by corporate executives.
- May directly supervise up to 3 team members.
- Assist in establishing bid teams, pre-bid meeting attendance, making work assignments, and implementing / monitoring the progress of estimates and proposals.
- Mentoring of junior estimating team members.
- Extensive knowledge of estimating software such as InEight Hard Dollar or HCSS Heavy Bid; InEight Hard Dollar Experience is Preferred.
- Knowledge of design, estimating, construction, finance, and management.
- Thorough understanding of corporate and industry practices, processes, standards and activities. Accounting (math and record-keeping) to include the ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts and operations as needed to examine construction operations including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proficient in utilizing Google Earth, Esri ArcGIS, Bluebeam Revu, ShareFile, FTP Sites, and similar software; Esri ArcGIS Experience is Preferred.
- Effective communication (oral, written, presentation, listening).
- Effective motivational and supervisory skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks.
- Expected to relocate to the Austin, Texas regional office.
- Must have a valid driver's license and an acceptable motor vehicle driving record (MVR).
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical specifications, drawings, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Four-year construction science, construction management, construction engineering, engineering, or similar related degree.
- 5+ years’ experience in similar construction estimating, cost control, or management role with related functions plus thorough knowledge of corporate objectives impacting estimating, estimating strategies and techniques, and construction contracts is required.
- Ability to estimate all types of projects/contracts plus the ability to coordinate and supervise group work is essential.
Indeed Hire and Phillips & Jordan are working together to find the best candidate for this job.
By applying, you agree to be contacted by our agent, Indeed Hire, and receive updates via text and phone about your application.
Job Type: Full-time
- ROW C& Land clearing: 3 years (Required)
- Google Earth/Esri ArcGIS/Bluebeam Revu/ShareFile/FTP sites: 3 years (Required)
- Software: HCSS Heavy Bid, & InEight Hard Dollar: 2 years (Required)
- Construction estimating: 5 years (Required)
- Construction project management: 3 years (Required)
- Land clearing projects: 2 years (Preferred)
- Right of way construction: 2 years (Preferred)
- Heavy Civil dirt work projects: 4 years (Required)
- Civil engineering construction: 2 years (Required)
- estimating software: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)