Title: Senior Delivery Automation Engineer
Job ID: 3102
Hire Type: Permanent
We are assisting a Cleveland based manufacturing company with their search for a Senior Delivery Automation Engineer who will be responsible for the implementation and integration of processes, software tools, and custom utilities in support of web site and application development, deployment, and maintenance. This particular position is focused on a Microsoft-based environment. Provides technical consulting to management, business users, and technical associates. Works closely with developers and engineers as a mentor. As a technical specialist, this position also works with management, project leadership, and architects in continuous improvement initiatives. The overarching goal is to implement, automate and evolve processes that contribute to maturity and release-on-demand capabilities.
- Develop a deployment automation framework that supports internal development efforts and partnerships with third-party code sources.
- Develop a framework that identifies relevant configurations, configuration items, and baselines.
- Identify third-party tools and technologies that will assist in the configuration and management of developed web sites and applications.
- Acquire and interpret technical requirements, create a functional specification, and determine the most efficient/appropriate technologies.
- Work with Architecture role to review standards in determining the best design to meet project requirements. Responsible for implementing approved architecture design.
- Submit and review technical and process improvement recommendations.
- Acknowledge and maintain standards across the organization, accommodating disparate groups that have different needs and development.
- Ensure that automation solutions follow best security practices.
- Help to define and implement an elastic approach to automated environment provisioning, locally or in the cloud.
- Manage impacts and coordination when system dependencies are undergoing planned maintenance and patching.
- Technical liaison between Architecture, Operations, Development, Quality Assurance and Deployment Automation.
- Assist in bridging development and operations staff when it comes to automating environment configuration, deployments and related aspects of deployment automation.
- Planning, scheduling and controlling the movement of software releases (i.e. source code repositories) between the various application environments with an eye to Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Implement standardized deployment automation processes and procedures that leverage automation technologies that are reportable, reproducible and auditable.
- Perform complex design of deployment or environment automation architectures to simplify the deployment process.
- Partner with development teams, engineers and architects to implement processes and procedures for development projects.
- Mitigate risks associated with code deployment. Develop contingency plans in the event of failed deployments.
- Bring knowledge of the production environment to deployment automation aspects of testing and staging environments.
- Work closely with the development and operations organizations to implement the necessary tools and process to support the automation of builds, deployments, testing and infrastructure (infrastructure as code).
- Maintain and modify build and deployment automation tools and software; make approved changes by amending application documentation, developing detailed programming logic, logic diagrams, and coding changes.
- Provide support for critical web application problems and issues.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert in the discovery and investigation of critical production problems as required.
- Conduct research into new technologies, including tools, components, and frameworks.
- Train and knowledge share with development and engineering teams.
- Mentor and coach developers, testers, engineers, and/or Professional Apprentices.
- Project and task management and reporting as necessary.
- Make presentations to management, clients, and peer groups as requested.
- Schedule and lead project and communication meetings with clients.
- Provide tier 2, on-call support for critical deployment problems and issues.
- Analyze performance of programs and take action to correct deficiencies based on consultation with clients and approval of supervisor.
- Assist with other projects as may be required to contribute to efficiency and effectiveness of the work.
- Participate in hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employment opportunity policy.
Education / Experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Bachelor Degree or foreign equivalent in related field or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years IT experience.
- 3+ years of experience working across multiple phases of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- 5+ years of experience in a range of continuous integration and automation tools and approaches in a Windows environment. Some examples of these tools are: MSBuild, Jenkins, Bamboo, Octodeploy, Puppet, Chef, PowerShell, ruby, shell scripts.
- Demonstrated understanding of configuring and optimizing current Microsoft Windows Server and IIS platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in a .NET development environment.
- Understanding and usage of modern source code control systems.
- Experience collaborating with developers and automated testing teams to identify logical extension points for automated testing, post-build smoke tests, etc.
- Experience with configuration management tools like Vagrant, Docker or Puppet to automate the creation of VM’s for development, test and production is preferred.
- Experience working with Linux/Unix is a plus.
- Experience with package management (such as Nuget) is a plus.
- Experience of using Agile concepts such as SAFe, Scrum and release planning is a plus.
- Experience with eXtreme Programming Practices, such as ATDD and TDD is a plus.
- Strong analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability and initiative to learn and research new concepts, ideas, and technologies quickly.
- Comfort working in a team-oriented, collaborative, open communication environment and reaching across functional borders.
- Ability to translate an idea or need into a completed solution or work product.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and solutions in clear, concise and easily readable format by both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Minimal travel is required.
- Work outside the standard office 7.5 hour workday as required.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status now or in the future.
Will relocate the ideal candidate
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Area: Information Technology
Contact: Ben Basnett
Job Type: Full-time
- package management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Information Technology: 5 years (Required)
- eXtreme Programming Practices-TDD and ATDD: 5 years (Preferred)
- integration and automation tools: 5 years (Required)
- Agile concepts: 5 years (Preferred)
- demonstrated .Net development: 5 years (Required)
- configuration management tools: 5 years (Required)
- configuring and optimizing on IIS platform: 5 years (Required)
- Linux/Unix: 5 years (Preferred)
- understanding and usage of source code control systems: 5 years (Preferred)
- Software Development Lifecycle: 3 years (Required)
- configuring and optimizing Microsoft Windows Servers: 5 years (Required)