Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking an executive legal assistant to support our managing partner and his team in our Portland office. Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers as being top-ranked trial lawyers. To find out more information about the firm, please visit our website at www.smithfreed.com.
Smith Freed Eberhard offers a flexible and fun work environment. Collaboration between partners, associates, paralegals and staff is vital to serving our clients well. Our casual work environment allows you to deal with what needs to be done rather than keeping up appearances. Employees have the ability to participate in making the community a better place with pro bono, community service, and fundraising opportunities and activities. Smith Freed Eberhard provides the tools you need to succeed in your cases and your career.
This position supports the delivery of quality legal services to clients by providing secretarial and administrative assistance to the managing partner and team, performing complex and specialized secretarial tasks, and working collaboratively and cooperative with others in a team-oriented environment.
- Provides excellent client service
- Ability to draft standard pleadings, correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- Possesses strong assistant skills including typing, transcribing, word processing, mail and contact management in all of the firm’s systems and databases.
- Accurately files court documents both electronically and in document form and able to determine and follow any local or judge specific requirements related to same.
- Exhibits sound judgment and organizational skills to receive, record and disseminate all information on behalf of the clients and assigned attorneys (e.g., mail, interoffice mail, email, etc.)
- Regularly anticipates the needs of assigned attorneys in order to promote timekeeper efficiencies (i.e., drafts correspondence, prepares shell pleading and discovery documents in advance).
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Coordinates and makes necessary arrangements for meetings (i.e., depositions, mediations, interviews, and vendor and facility reservations).
- Maintains attorney specific case lists, charts, and status of cases and outcomes.
- Consistently updates all applicable contact records (including attorney’s outlook and firm database).
- Timely reviews, follows-up on, and accurately files client-related emails.
- Able to juggle multiple assignments and/or deadlines while maintaining a professional demeanor and timely seeks assistance when needed.
- Performs e-filings, prepare pleadings notebooks, update indexes and prepare exhibits.
- Possesses knowledge of client-specific billing guidelines and restrictions and consistently applies those guidelines to ensure cost-effective practices.
- Helping prepare for meetings including scheduling with multiple calendars and coordinating lunch.
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a legal assistant
- Working knowledge of litigation process and experience with court and agency rules including filing requirements
- Proven experience as an executive assistant or other relevant administrative support experience
- Capability to handle complex cases
- Fosters Teamwork – provides assistance, information and/or support to others. Listens and responds constructively to other team members and their ideas.
- Manages Change – recognizes inefficiencies and plans, develops, and executes change.
- Effective Communication –Strong command of the English language, including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style, the ability to compose correspondence and proofread, and a high level of attention to detail.
- Analytical Thinker - The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical
- Initiative - Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Flexibility - Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience.
- Great office views of the city from the 43rd Floor of Big Pink
- In house litigation training
- Bonus opportunities
- Well rounded benefits package including Health, Dental, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, and profit sharing
- Mass transit reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule
- Meditation room
- Firm provided coffee and snacks
Smith Freed Eberhard is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service obligations or other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.