Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America’s foremost property management firm. We’re all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we’re looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what’s right, improving residents’ quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us.
The Corporate Controller is part of the corporate finance support team (business partner) leading corporate finance, USGAAP Compliance, Acquisition and minority partner accounting and management reporting Inline to corporate strategy driving efficiencies and value creation to business.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by positions in this job classification. Not all duties assigned to every position are included, nor is it expected that all positions will be assigned every duty.
- Contribute to developing a “world-class” corporate finance team
- Be a gatekeeper and owner of the Corporate Accounting System
- Lead the Acquisition, minority interest, dividend distributions and capital re-structure accounting with corporate support in compliance with USGAAP
CORPORATE CONTROLS AND REPORTING
- Lead Timely accurate hands-on month-end general ledger close for all Corporate and Operating Company general ledgers with variance analysis
- Review existing corporate policies and address gaps with current business practices and technology changes
- Leads all general Corporate accounting matters, including policies, payroll, Bank Reconciliations, pre-paid, accrued liabilities, insurance, debt, equity, IC transactions and taxes.
- Coordinates and directs the monthly accounting and financial consolidations process working closely with the regional accounting/finance teams
- Leads the consolidation of the monthly balance sheet, income statements and roll forwards by managing/ directing the operating business monthly financial submission process in accordance with Corporate timelines.
- Review and ensure timely completion of monthly journal entries and account reconciliations to ensure compliance with Corporate SOX policies and USGAAP.
- Direct the monthly duties of the corporate accounting staff.
- Ensure self-insured medical program record-keeping and reporting
- Coordinate with FP&A on reviewing the corporate budget and actual results
- Review and Approve Corporate invoices prior to payment to ensure proper signing authority and segregation of duties.
- Represent Corporate Accounting on other major “cross-functional” projects
RELATIONSHIPS AND CHANGE MANAGEMENT
- Work collaboratively with local finance teams supporting accounting challenges
- Lead change management, training and development related to the corporate accounting system and new policies and procedures
- Be a business partner/ change agent to local business while executing the overall corporate strategy
- Track business unit satisfaction and effectiveness on an annual basis
ACCOUNTING & FINANCE EXPERIENCE
- Experience with best practice finance and accounting systems, processes and department structure
- Strong knowledge in USGAAP acquisition recording, minority partner recording, dividend distribution and capital structure
- Corporate accounting experience with multiple legal entity management with various ownership’s, tax structures and complex roll-ups
- Strong analytical skills with advanced excel knowledge with experience in problem-solving
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required; CPA is an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- 10+ years of accounting experience with 5+ years of corporate finance experience
- Strong knowledge and understanding of USGAAP, SOX, finance policies and procedures
- Strong organizational skills and ability to lead many tasks at once
- Exceptional communication and change management skills
- System experience - Great Plains, Avid and Concur would be an asset, PowerPoint, Excel and Word
Physical Requirements / Working Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Hours over and above normal office hours will occur, including evenings, holidays, and some weekends. The schedule is subject to change based on business needs.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $115,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Accounting: 10 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19