Job Number: 343612
Location: 400 W. Magnolia Avenue, Fort Worth, TX
Department: 239810 - Simmons CC Moncrief Cncr Inst
Full/Part Time/PRN: Day Job
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Experience and Education
Licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for State of Texas and CPR certification are required.
One (1) year of clinical nursing experience is preferred.
Specialty areas may have increased experience requirements as dictated by clinic or standard of care.
Primary responsibilities are to serve as a patient navigator in the Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Clinic at Moncrief Cancer Institute. Work with clinicians to coordinate, and ensure appointments are scheduled in a timely fashion. Assist patient in navigating local facilities which offer the services needed. Patient advocate and point of contact throughout care. . Record medical history and determine appropriateness of exams in accordance with the Routine Standing Orders provided. Review and educate patient regarding preparation for procedures and answer patient questions concerning treatment plan. Securely transmit patient information between Moncrief Cancer Institute, and sub-contracted facilities and physicians in the 35 county service area, ensuring all relevant clinical data is available for continuity of care. Maintain orders, results, follow up and nursing documentation in the patient EPIC EMR. Ensure follow-up appointments are scheduled in a timely manner.
1. Delivers nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with stated medical plan of care utilizing the nursing process to assess, implement, and record patients' response in the medical record.
2. Schedules patients' appointments, tests, and procedures via on-line computer system or telephone, and reinforces physician instructions in person and through telephone contact.
3. Provides patient education and documents patient's response in medical record.
4. Ensures appropriate patient consents and authorizations are obtained for research and/or medical treatment.
5. Triages patient phone inquiries according to physician and/or departmental protocols and documents such actions in patients' medical records.
6. Provides working supervision and delegates tasks to licensed vocational nurses, non-licensed medical staff, or office support personnel.
7. Proficiency in electronic medical record documentation.
8. Participates in the recommendation of policy and/or procedural changes according to nursing expertise.
9. Prepares equipment and assists physicians during physical exams and medical procedures. Prepares and administers medications as prescribed by physician.
10. Inspects equipment and facilities visually and physically to ensure patient safety and proper functioning of equipment. Maintains adequate stock of supplies as required for work area.
11. Attends and participates in meetings related to clinical activities.
12. Duties performed may include one or more of the following core functions: a) Directly interacting with or caring for patients; b) Directly interacting with or caring for human-subjects research participants; c) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting patient records (including patient financial records); or d) Regularly maintaining, modifying, releasing or similarly affecting human-subjects research records.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
UTSouthwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UTSouthwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.