Position Vacancy ID:
Assistant Director of Outreach Programs
ASST DIR, UNSPEC (7)(M93LN)
A022420-GENERAL SERVICES/VC FOR UNIV RELATIONS/CAVR
Anticipated Begin Date:
JULY 23, 2018
This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $55,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and area of specialization:
Minimum B.A. or B.S. in communications, education, public relations, sociology, or related field is required. Masters or equivalent experience preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- At least 5 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility in higher education administration, outreach, public relations, partnerships, or related field.
- Experience in facilitating successful ongoing, mutually-beneficial relationships with faculty, staff, affiliate organizations, and/or in the community.
- Experience engaging with individuals from the business sector, government officials, community leaders, media, and/or K-12 educators.
- Demonstrated success in a position that required excellent written and interpersonal communication skills with a high degree of professionalism.
- Knowledge of and ability to learn software systems and tools, such as event management and survey software, Excel, social media, etc.
- Experience working in outreach or public relations in a higher education setting.
- Experience with strategic planning and implementation.
- Experience supervising and mentoring student hourly staff.
- An understanding of UW-Madison or similar higher education institution.
License or Certificate:
Campus and Visitor Relations (CAVR) is the welcoming front door to the university, empowering the campus, community, and visitors to access the resources of UW-Madison. The Assistant Director of Outreach Programs, in close partnership with the Director of State Relations, University Relations central administration, and other key stakeholders, leads and coordinates the following statewide outreach initiatives: Speakers Bureau, Wisconsin Ambassador Program, and Bucky's Classroom School Visit Program.
The Speakers Bureau strengthens relationships with Wisconsin communities through facilitating talk events given by faculty and staff experts who have dynamic and engaging ways of presenting their knowledge and research. The Wisconsin Ambassador Program offers student Ambassadors who enthusiastically share their Wisconsin Experience at events occurring on campus and in the community. Bucky's Classroom School Visit Program partners with Wisconsin teachers to bring UW-Madison into middle school classrooms throughout the academic year, helping students build a better understanding of college and learn about UW-Madison.
The Assistant Director of Outreach Programs is responsible for facilitating programs that align with institutional and office priorities while meeting the needs of statewide constituents. It is a partnership-driven, dynamic, and self-starting position that requires innovative and nimble approaches. As a part of CAVR's leadership team, the person in this role helps set the tone within the office, cultivating an inclusive, welcoming, and team-oriented work environment.
Campus and Visitor Relations is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from individuals who possess and promote these values.
Additional knowledge and skills desired:
- Ability to plan, lead, and facilitate a set of multi-faceted initiatives in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Passion for community engagement with a commitment to providing quality service.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations and circumstances, including demonstrating patience and positivity when facing unexpected challenges or changes in priorities.
- Self-aware and reflective; interested in giving and receiving positive and constructive feedback, as well as seeking out opportunities to learn and grow.
Flexibility in work hours is required due to some statewide travel and evening/weekend work.
Due to statewide travel, incumbent must have a valid driver's license and also be eligible to qualify as an authorized driver through UW Risk Management.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number