Responsible for delivering effective, aesthetic, on-brand and on-strategy creative for websites, promotional email campaigns, email templates, social media graphics, newsletters and other digital marketing collateral that conveys the brand messaging for the Dallas Zoo and the Children’s Aquarium at Fair Park. Work across departments (MarComm, Membership, Development, Education, etc.) to ensure design and brand consistency for all digital assets. Will take the lead on CMS for new website and update content as needed.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement creative concepts across multiple campaign deliverables – taking existing campaign elements to leverage for digital assets and/or developing digital-first assets to support individual initiatives.
- Design and produce creative for websites, web pages, email campaigns, social media graphics, digital banner creative, etc.
- Take the lead on ongoing design and maintenance updates to DallasZoo.com.
- Serve as key driver for the Zoo’s email marketing program, working across departments to build brand-right copy and well-designed emails that elicit effective responses from consumers – drive attendance, drive membership, secure donations, encourage interaction, encourage registrations, etc.
- Contribute to visualizing, conceptualizing and designing better user experiences across all of the Zoo and Aquarium’s digital platforms.
- Leverage best practices to inform design concepts that can transform complex ideas and messages into effective graphic representations.
- Work cross-functionally with MarComm, Membership, Education, Conservation and other teams to translate and create compelling digital assets and digital marketing materials.
- Work with internal design and creative resources to ensure aesthetics are aligned with usability, accessibility and web standards. Ensure proper implementation within a web / email environment and ensure consistency and integrity of creative and brand vision.
- Work with graphic designer and video specialist to brainstorm and create compelling digital assets (video, audio, motion graphics, animation, etc.) to be used across channels.
- Perform other design assignments and support duties as assigned.
- B.A., B.S. or equivalent degree (or work equivalent) in digital design, visual design, graphic design, graphic communications or related field.
- Minimum of three years of successful professional design experience, preferably at a digital agency or in-house team working on website / digital design elements.
- Experience designing websites, digital communications that involve a mix of e-commerce and brand message delivery.
- Passion for UI/UX-oriented design, and be forward thinking in terms of branding within that space
- Knowledge of website and email marketing design processes.
- Creativity with the ability to brainstorm with team and develop effective, innovative approaches to digital communications.
- Portfolio of digital work is required, with emphasis on solutions to business problems through effective design.
- Videography and photography skills a plus, with a demonstrated talent for digital content composition.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite products, including Flash, Spark, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign and Photoshop
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, After Effects and other motion programs a plus.
- Experience with WordFly email marketing system and Tessitura donor & ticketing system a plus.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exhibit exceptional writing and listening skills. Ability to distill messages and briefs into engaging, informative pieces that are audience-appropriate, accurate, creative and effective.
- Collaborative, passionate and fun to work with.
- Eagerness to learn new skills and keep up with changing technology.
- Strong organizational and planning skills a must; outstanding digital file management and time management.
- Able to work calmly under pressure, juggle multiple tasks & projects simultaneously and make quick decisions in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a pleasant attitude.
- High degree of adaptability. Must be able to shift priorities seamlessly while remaining efficient and effective.
- Ability to draw conclusions from new and changing information. Self-reliant.
- Self-motivated with ability to work with little or no supervision, take initiative to solve issues as they arise and accept constructive criticism as given.
- Desire to be an integral part of a team and work together to accomplish goals.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated, and a team player, able to work collaboratively with staff members across the Zoo and Aquarium.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees, and Zoo guests.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the Dallas Zoo.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends as needed.
- Ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work. This may involve some lifting, carrying, moving, pushing, and/or pulling of objects/materials of light weight (15-20 pounds). Some climbing on ladders or over obstacles may be required. Tasks may also involve significant periods of standing or walking outside during events and photo shoots, as well as during event set-up or break-down times.
Successful candidates must complete pre-employment drug screening, background check and TB test.