If you are passionate about Parks and Recreation, we have the position for you. The City of Pittsburgh is seeking a dedicated executive ready to lead our Department of Parks and Recreation into the future. This is a full-time position responsible for planning, organizing, and administering public recreation services for the City of Pittsburgh. If you are the professional we are looking for, apply today at pghjobs.net!
Note: Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
Note: To be formally considered for this position, you must apply through our website at pghjobs.net.
The Director of Parks and Recreation plans, promotes, organizes, and administers public recreation service for the City of Pittsburgh. Responsible for the daily administration and operations of the Parks and Recreation Department and all of its programming, service delivery, fiscal accountability, staffing, business development and planning. Directs the expenditure of all funds in the Department; oversees preparation and monitoring of Department's budget.
Department: Parks and Recreation
Civil Service Classification: Exempt
GENERAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application will be disqualified.
Disqualification based on any of these General Application Requirements are not subject to a Civil Service appeal.
- A completed online City of Pittsburgh Employment Application, including your online Employment Profile Data. (Education and Work Experience).
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Supplemental Form questions for this position.
- A resume, to be submitted online.
- Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
- Applicants must obtain CPR/AED and First Aid Certificates within six (6) months of hire and maintain throughout employment.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License at the time of filing application or prior to appointment, which must be maintained throughout employment. Written requests for a special accommodation on the basis of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act will be considered by the Department of Personnel and Civil Service Commission on an individual basis.
NOTE: The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts pre-employment and promotional background investigations on all candidates being considered for positions. The background investigation includes but is not limited to criminal background, driver's license and City of Pittsburgh real estate tax payments. Candidates may be disqualified from consideration from employment based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which they are being considered).
NOTE: Candidates being considered for employment will be required to submit official transcripts to verify of their post-secondary education (college/university, trade school, ect.) prior to being hired by the City of Pittsburgh. Transcripts must be submitted at the time of any/each job interview you have with the City of Pittsburgh.
Your City of Pittsburgh application will be reviewed and your work experience and education/training will be evaluated to determine if you meet the qualifying eligibility requirements listed below for this position. You will be sent am eligibility letter regarding your eligible/ineligible status.
Work Experience: The application must clearly show five (5) yearsof full-time experience in public administration, business administration, parks and recreation, or a related field. (Full time is defined as 32 hours or more per week. Less than full-time will be calculated on a pro-rated basis).
Education/Training: The application must clearly show a Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Parks and Recreation, or a related field. A Certification as a Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) is preferred. (See NOTE under the General Application Requirements Section above regarding the verification of education/training).
Equivalency: None permitted for this position. Therefore, no education/training and/or work experience may be substituted toward the qualifying requirements listed above.
- Directs, manages, organizes and plans the operation and administration of the Department of Parks and Recreation.
- Administers diverse recreation programs, inclusive of Community Recreation, Senior/Healthy Active Living, Community Enrichment, Afterschool & Summer Food, Aquatics and Tennis programs, through the delegation of responsibility to the Assistant Director, Program Supervisors, Aquatic Supervisor, Program Coordinators, and Recreation and Senior/Healthy Active Living Community Center Directors for ongoing, day-to-day operations.
- Studies local conditions and develops immediate and long range plans to meet recreational needs of all age groups; evaluates effectiveness of recreation areas, facilities, and services.
- Directs the expenditure of all funds in the Department; oversees preparation and monitoring of Department budget; confers with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) routinely/as necessary.
- Works closely with the Operations and Administration Manager to prepare and submit legislation to the Mayor and City Council.
- Develops and ensures full implementation of all policies and procedures; confers with the Law, OMB, and Finance Departments as well as the Controller's Office routinely/as necessary.
- Develops long and short-range plans for improvement of programs and facilities, works closely with the Department of Public Works routinely/as necessary; establishes Departmental goals and priorities; assists the Department of Public Works in the acquisition, planning, design, construction, and maintenance of recreation facilities; coordinates with the Public Works Department on routine maintenance and special repair projects.
- Oversees vendor engagement, contracts and project scheduling, works closely with OMB and Budget/Procurement.
- Oversees technical projects and information technology requests and needs, works closely with the Department of Innovation and Performance routinely/as necessary.
- Supervises the activities of Department personnel; assigns, monitors, and evaluates work; provides managerial direction.
- Reviews and approves contracts; monitors contract performance and compliance.
- Oversees submission of grant applications to state and federal agencies.
- Responds to concerns from the general public.
- Advises the Mayor and makes appropriate recommendations regarding Department policies and activities.
- Represents the Department and its policies to City Council, other Departments, the news media, and the public; oversees marketing of Parks and Recreation related programs including the Department's website, brochures, communications, and social media.
- Develops and manages the comprehensive/master plans for Parks and Recreation related programs; establishes and maintains partnerships and effective working relationships with other departments, agencies, community groups, and professional organizations.
- Directs the collection of recreation related fees, charges, and lease agreements for City facilities.
- Assists the Department of Public Works with the direction, construction, management, and maintenance of the Department's facilities; provides staff support to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and the established sub-committees (Senior Advisory, Youth Advisory, and Citizen Accessibility).
- Directs the implementation of the Department programs and services through subordinate managers, supervisors, and staff; ensures that operations support the Master Plan and comply with established policies, procedures and related regulations; assesses department effectiveness and performance; and identifies and implements changes to maximize use of resources, achieve goals and objectives, and meet the community's recreational and cultural affairs needs/interests.
- Works closely with other City employees, City Departments and outside organizations as required.
- Plans, develops, directs, coordinates, organizes, and controls the materials, equipment, and personnel under jurisdiction toward the effective, efficient, and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees.
- Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
- Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel as assigned or required.
- Performs such other related tasks and duties that are assigned or required.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $106,015.00 /year