Peoples’ Self-Help Housing is looking for a dynamic and experienced Senior Property Manager. This individual will independently provide the accounting and financial reporting to internal and external parties for up to 15 affordable housing rental properties. In addition, the Senior Property Accountant will train and mentor staff on policies, procedures and GAAP principals to ensure accurate accounting data for the entire property management portfolio.
With a mission to build affordable homes, with site-based services that offer opportunities to change lives and strengthen communities, Peoples’ Self-Help Housing is the longest nonprofit developer on California’s Central Coast. We serve low income working families, farmworkers, seniors and veterans and provide welcoming environments for those living with disabilities and for the formerly homeless. Along with building and managing beautiful and accessible neighborhoods in San Luis, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, we offer a broad array of programs to promote, health, education and connections to community-based resources.
This is a full time position (40 hours/week).
Competitive benefit package including:
- Employer-paid Medical/Dental/ Vision, LTD/ STD
- Pension Plan (currently 10% salary matching contribution each year)
- Paid Vacation, Holidays and Sick Time
- Alternative Work Schedule Option
- Employer investment in professional education reimbursements and wellness reimbursements
- An excellent supportive staff and work environment.
- Responsible for the accounting functions, monthly close and compilation of financial statements and reports using U.S. GAAP for up to 15 affordable housing properties. Responsibilities include independent general ledger transaction review, general ledger account reconciliation, preparation and posting of adjusting entries and accruals and internal and external financial reporting.
- Independently prepares annual audit packages for external CPA firms for their assigned properties. Assists in preparation and training of department accounting staff to ensure completeness of audit packages for the entire property management portfolio.
- Trains and guides staff on U.S. GAAP principals and department policies, procedures and reporting processes.
- Independently prepares and analyzes cash projections to identify trends and variances from forecasts for the assigned properties. Conducts similar analysis for properties and other entities when requested, to ensure the fiscal health of the organization.
- Compiles monthly financial reports and entity operation details, for the assigned properties, to provide accurate data to PSHH property management and the following stakeholders: Board, Executive Officers, Director of Property Management, Senior Asset Manager, Portfolio Managers, and the Controller of Property Management.
- Supports the annual corporate and property-level budget process. Assists in establishing and reviewing a detailed budget for their assigned properties as well as a consolidated basis. Works with department heads, regional management, site personnel, and accounting staff to explain major budget and year-over-year variances.
- Provides Yardi system guidance and support to site managers and other staff as needed. Works with management (Compliance Manager, Portfolio Managers) to identify and develop appropriate training to provide efficient tools to employees.
- Assists in the preparation and update of Yardi procedures manuals for implementation of Yardi best practices. Assists with customization and report generation in Yardi. Participates in conversion process when Yardi upgrades occur.
- Performs other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor, Director of Property Management, or Executive Officers.
Minimum Position Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ accounting/financial analysis experience as a senior accountant is required, preferably in a non-profit organization or in real estate/property management industry.
- Previous experience in managing a high volume of accounting responsibilities for 15+ properties simultaneously.
- Extensive knowledge and previous responsibility for the general ledger close process, trial balance review function and financial statement compilation procedures using U.S. GAAP, is required.
- Outstanding leadership skills, including the ability to effectively motivate staff.
- Yardi property management software experience highly preferred, particularly in the Financial Manager, Affordable and Residential menu options.
- Strong Microsoft Excel and documentation skills required for compilation, analysis, and management review of large quantities of data.
- Strong desire to learn the affordable housing industry and its specific accounting and reporting requirements.
- Must have a valid CA driver's license with proof of insurance and access to a reliable vehicle.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 to $75,000.00 /year
- Yardi: 3 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Have you handled high volume accounting responsibilities for 15+ properties simultaneously?
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Tuition reimbursement