Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a Linux Systems Administrator Team Lead to support the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD
- Provide technical direction to team members to achieve organizational goals
- Manage team work assignments and coverage
- Report to management
- Represent team in organizational meetings
- Assist in interviewing/screening additional hires
- Hands-on provisioning of services, monitoring, upgrading hardware and software, configuration management, and understanding and maintaining peripheral services and software
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of problems and user requests through an established trouble ticketing system.
- Develop and maintain custom tools in Puppet, Python, Perl, Ruby, and Bash to automate the UNIX infrastructure
- Install, configure and maintain CentOS and associated applications in an automated Puppet environment
- Perform standard administration tasks (packaging, OS installs, patch management)
- Provide UNIX support to NCBI's internal developers and researchers.
- Comfortable with Linux or UNIX CLI
- Demonstrated significant experience with Linux Systems Administration (5+ years)
- Highly versed in Linux administration and best practices
- Experience with automated configuration management (Puppet, Chef, etc., Puppet is preferred)
- Fluency in programming/scripting skills for automation in at least two of Bash, Ruby, Python, and Perl
- General understanding of Linux internals (system calls, file systems, processes, etc.)
- General understanding of TCP/IP and related protocols (HTTP, FTP, NFS, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Comfortable dealing with users with varying levels of IT knowledge
- Team player who is nevertheless able to work with minimum supervision.
- Resumes should include one to two paragraphs of prose for each position detailing a specific problem that the candidate took ownership for, the solution adopted and how it was implemented
- Experience in a large, highly available Linux environment
- Familiar with enterprise network architectures
- Familiarity with large, complex Linux environments
- Experience with Git
- Experience supporting large web applications environment (we have 3.5 million users per day)
- Knowledge of Cloud technology such as AWS and GCP
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
- Linux Systems Administrator: 5 years (Required)
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Commuting/travel assistance
- Flexible schedules