Classical Instrument Technician
Position Summary: We are looking for mature, organized, motivated, and self-starting individuals to provide excellent repairs, service, and support to our customer base of local musicians and school rental programs.
As a String Instrument Repair Specialist, you will play an important role in our continued success at providing musicians and string families high quality instruments. To be successful in this role you will need a collaborative approach as you prepare and repair instruments and support general store operations.
Working with our leadership, store associates and other instrument repair technicians you will support the vision of Shar Music to be the premier provider of violins, violas, cellos, and basses in the Detroit Metro Area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Inspect instruments to locate defects, and to determine their value or the level of restoration required.
· Develop an ability to accurately diagnose instruments for repair and provide written and/or verbal estimates as needed.
· Perform instrument set-ups for rental and sales instruments.
· Play instruments to evaluate their sound quality and to locate any defects.
· Compare instrument pitches with tuning tool pitches to tune instruments.
· Adjust string tensions to tune instruments, using hand tools and electronic tuning devices.
· Follow shop specifications and techniques for professional instrument repair, restoration, and set-ups.
· String instruments and bridges of instruments to obtain specified string tensions and heights.
· Repair or replace broken strings, bridges, pegs, sound posts, open seams, instrument cracks, etc., using hand and power tools.
· Clean and polish instruments.
· Manage workflow and shop repair commitments.
· Assist Music Store Associates, Leadership and other Associates as needed.
· Maintain organized work area and professional work environment.
· Perform all other duties as assigned.
· Orchestra strings background (violin/viola/cello/bass) is preferred
· Passion for working with stringed instruments
· Willingness to learn repair techniques and meet shop specifications
· Working knowledge of woodworking and dedication to the craft
· Collaborative, Self-Motivated, Detail-Oriented, and Responsible
This position is full time. Compensation is competitive commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, annual bonus, and store discount.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.00 per hour
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $14.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Typical start time:
Typical end time: