The patient sitter, under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, keeps the patient safe from harm.
1. Sitters observe the patient and maintain a safe environment, and as delegated by the nurse, may provide care to the patient that does not interfere with the ability to maintain continuous visual contact.
2. The sitter accompanies the patient for any clinical tests or procedures off the unit. The sitter remains within an arm’s length distance of the patient unless otherwise directed by the person performing the test or procedure.
3. The sitter may be assigned to monitor two patients in the same room. The sitter positions him/herself to maintain an unobstructed view of both patients. Additional staff must be provided if patient activity (e.g., patient ambulating in the hall, patient in the restroom or patient transported off the unit) prevents the sitter from simultaneously monitoring both patients.
4. The Sitter is responsible for ensuring that the patient’s dignity is preserved.
5. The Sitter provides for patient safety by removing potentially harmful objects or contraband from patient and environment (e.g., sharp objects, glass items, belts, ties, hairdryer, purse, cosmetics, mirrors, electric razors).
6. The activities delegated to the Sitter are determined by the policies and procedures of the Nursing Department and are in accordance with the requirements of the patient care unit.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Ability to communicate effectively, required.