This position is for Academic, Operational, and Budgetary Support of the School Director, faculty, staff, and students. This position is essential as it is the first point of contact for anyone within the School, public, and university community.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Acts as academic support for the School to include, but not limited to, corresponding with prospective students, coordinating on-campus student visits, preparing and sending necessary student forms, maintaining appropriate student files and working with faculty, staff, students and university community to assure student success. Liaising with offices/departments/programs that offer courses through ISPD, e.g. all Student Affairs courses, Luckyday Scholarship Program, Center for Faculty Development.
2. Assists with preparation of and inputs course schedule, room reservations and student scheduling needs. Manages all class enrollment permissions. Oversees textbook ordering. Organizes summer programs, including conferences.
3. Develop and monitor the school’s annual operating budgets through consultation with School Director, including planning and preparing justification statements for budget requests. Prepare analysis of budget data for the director and assure that expenditures stay within the established budget for the school, monitors personnel accounts. Maintain and reconciles all school budgets in a timely/monthly manner. Assist with Course Fee Audits. Assist university units and external agencies with budget requests. Prepare budgetary forms, and initiate processes in SOARFIN, obtain appropriate signatures and route to appropriate entity. (i.e. Purchase Orders, Permission to Travel, Reimbursement Voucher, Interdepartmental Invoices etc.). Initiates all Foundation non-scholarship withdrawal requests.
4. Serves as facility and inventory point of contact. Maintain and track school inventory. Conduct regular inventory audits. Assist in state mandated audits. Order course and lab supplies and coordinate delivery, as requested. Coordinate lab maintenance with off-campus technicians and appropriate lab coordinator or faculty. Assist with lab clean-out. Process necessary forms for school maintenance, supply purchases, awards, etc. through the University and Foundation. Serve as building liaison, enters work orders and interacts with physical plant on building maintenance and service.
5. Manage personnel actions under supervision of director, including creating of job requisitions, onboarding and off-boarding of staff, faculty, graduate assistants, temporary non-students. Prepare appropriate HR hiring paperwork for faculty, staff, adjuncts, student employees, etc. Prepares credentialing paperwork for instructors. Hires, assigns duties, and supervises the work of student employees. Prepare semesterly paperwork for Graduate school, include tuition waiver requests, offer letters, and Personnel Action Forms.
6. Provide administrative support for the Director including, but not limited to: gathering, analyzing, and/or inputting data; event planning and public relations; website management, calendar/scheduling and facilities reservations; correspondence, preparing reports for accreditation and funding agencies.
7. Serves as back-up and support to fill in as needed by successfully completing cross training on all job duties and responsibilities outlined in this position.
8. Performs other duties as assigned by the School Director.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and two years of office experience – OR- an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Proficiency with a PC and keyboard to perform data entry, manipulation, and analysis.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in Microsoft Office.
Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with colleagues.
Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
Ability to exercise discretion, confidentiality, and judgment in dealing with sensitive issues.
Ability to problem solve under direction of school and campus administrators.
Experience working in academia
Minimum three years in a full-time office administration position
Knowledge of SOAR, SOARHR, SOARFIN, Cornerstone, BlackBaud, University Foundation Go! System, Astra, and Faculty Enlight.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.