Lumber Liquidators…A GREAT place to work! With more than 400 locations, Lumber Liquidators is North America’s largest specialty retailer of hardwood flooring. Our associates drive our success through a commitment to providing customers with the highest quality product at the lowest prices. Lumber Liquidators offers excellent career growth opportunities. We offer competitive pay rates and an outstanding benefits package which includes a low premium medical plan, paid holidays and paid time off, a 401(k) plan with an employer match that is immediately vested, and a casual work environment.
This position is responsible for the creation, maintenance and ongoing development of a specific product category assortment, including operational support to meet strategic sales, margin dollar, inventory, availability, quality and compliance goals. This position(s) partners with internal functions, including but not limited to Global Sourcing, Marketing, Supply Chain, Finance, Store Operations, Compliance & Quality and/or other functions as needed, to develop and execute the business plan for the product category assortment
Vice President, Merchandising
Number of People Supervised:
This position may or may not directly supervise other associates.
Secondary (Non-Essential) Functions:
- Provide category-level guidance to Global Sourcing to enable procurement of products with the highest possible quality at the best possible cost, including deals to supplement the ongoing permanent assortment.
- Serve as informational resource to Global Sourcing in the facilitation of cost negotiation, forecasting, payment terms, product specifications and delivery schedules.
- Determine and maintain sales to space ratios, responding to changing sales and market trends to ensure that planned sales, margin dollar, inventory and available weeks of supply are achieved by each product category assortment.
- Partner with Inventory management, Global Sourcing and Supply Chain to secure uninterrupted inventory supply of purchased items for the purpose of maintaining adequate stock levels to support customer demand and/or the category sales strategy.
- Develop everyday and promotional pricing and category strategy that aligns to the Company’s customer value proposition and to achieve specific goals for driving traffic, increasing top line revenue and gross margin dollars, and/or reducing inventory levels.
- Own the product life cycle that begins with strategic and planned product introductions into the category and ends with product end of life process. As product transitions are made, take into consideration the impact on category profitability, inventory levels and sales.
- Develop the trade-up and accessory structure of the category and ensures the selling strategy is communicated through training and creation of selling tools for sales associates.
- Review and adjust assortment plans as needed to achieve sales and margin plans and to maintain competitive presence in the marketplace.
- Identify new products to innovate and refresh product offering by securing and evaluating feedback from stores, evaluation of competitor assortments, and research of market trends/consumer demands.
- Facilitate timely communication with internal and external customers to ensure pertinent category information is provided to all applicable departments/clients.
- Create and/or review all product information for external communications, including catalogs, brochures and web presentation.
- Function as SME for product knowledge and product category training. Partner with Training team to create relevant sales training tools for selling associates.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline processes and work cooperatively with other teams
- Visit stores, suppliers and competition to assess needs, challenges and competitor activities to review assortments, product availability, pricing, and product development
- Provide technical support to the stores and customers as required
- Other duties and special projects, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Working experience with SAP and MS Access a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the flooring industry, retail matrices, product performance measurements, and inventory evaluation and planning tools.
- Demonstrated experience in retail procurement and planning activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for presenting information and ideas and responding to questions from carriers, vendors and other members of the organization.
- Demonstrated skill and experience with negotiating product buys.
- Ability to build positive relationships with peers, departments and vendors (team player).
- Ability to create and present business plans and manage to budget.
- Demonstrate sound judgment by making effective decisions consistent with department strategy and company policies and being able to support decisions with facts and details.
- Ability to self-motivate to set and achieve challenging goals and solve problems.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage teams and projects, and to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize and independently troubleshoot, plan, lead and manage projects.
- Ability to persuade and collaborate to achieve personal, category and company goals.
- Ability to travel and navigate independently, domestically up to 20% and internationally, up to 10%.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or other related field, required
- 5 -10 years of experience in sourcing, planning and forecasting, product development, and/or inventory management in a retail environment
- Experience with wood and flooring products, preferred