WHEDco Middle School Extended School Day Program at The Highbridge Green School- MS 361
Coordinator of Education and Youth Development - Program Director
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization
founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning,
sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be
successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s
mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality
early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See
www.whedco.org for more information.
In collaboration with the program director, school principal and other key stakeholders, the visual arts
instructor will lead the planning, development, and implementation of the arts program of the WHEDco Extended
School Day Program at The Highbridge Green School with special attention to activities that will promote literacy, social
justice understanding and cultural competencies.
- Design, develop and implement the visual arts program for students in grades 6 to 8, offering participants
opportunities to develop an interest and mastery.
- Lead, supervise and provide guidance to program participants in that elective four (4) times per week.
- Create lesson plan and select necessary supplies.
- Attend all required staff/planning meetings.
- Take on special assignments which pertain to the goals and objectives of the extended day program.
- Maintain observation and incident logs for group.
- Minimum of two years professional experience working with children in a classroom, after school, or in a
community-based environment leading and organizing activities. Substantial volunteer work will be
- Demonstrated interest in the field of education, child development or literacy preferred.
- Able to work late afternoons and/or evenings.
- Current, active college enrollment or college degree preferred.
- Well-organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Previous experience in low-income communities.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
Competitive hourly rate based on experience. This is a part-time hourly position.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Highbridge@whedco.org.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed
(religion), color, sex, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic
characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco
follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior
criminal conviction and prior arrest.