The Department of Mental Health (DMH) and Taunton State Hospital is seeking an experienced leader to serve as the Director of Nursing (DON) to provide overall direction, coordination and evaluation of nursing care services provided to our patients. Although interdisciplinary effort is hallmark of this role, the DON ensures that implementation of evidence-based practices are monitored while maintaining compliance with DMH, Joint Commission and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services (CMS) standards.
He/she will foster an environment in which nursing service is providing Person-Centered, Trauma-Informed, Recovery-Oriented care that minimizes the use of seclusion and restraint. Successful candidates will lead by example by promoting positive morale within and throughout the facility and lead protocol development, hiring and performance evaluation for the Nursing Department.
Our patients are treated by a multidisciplinary team, led by attending psychiatrists, that also includes psychologists, clinical social workers, psychiatric nurses, mental health workers, occupational therapists and rehabilitative staff specializing in vocational, recreational, and expressive therapies. Our multi-disciplinary treatment team approach necessitates an ability to work effectively with multiple professionals and to partner with family members and community service providers.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Provide oversight and direction to the Nursing Department to ensure nursing policies and procedures conform to current standards of practice, philosophy of organized nursing services, and facility/agency mission, as well as compliance with state/federal laws and regulations
- Assess and monitor high quality care via rounds, meetings, and workgroups to maximize delivery of care using available resources
- Develop, implement, and evaluate programs to enrich the recruitment, retention and continuing education of the nursing staff; Communicate and interpret policies and procedures to staff
- Participate in direct care activities as needed to ensure uninterrupted services when gaps exist in staffing; assist with provision of care within the day and evening shifts
- Evaluate the work performance of all nursing personnel and facilitate ongoing feedback/appraisal
- Establish quality and efficiency standards in all areas of responsibility and ensure that these standards are measured and reviewed on an ongoing basis
- Partner with Risk Managers and Human Rights Officers to take corrective actions and to resolve complaints when patient issues are presented or substantiated
- Meet with patients individually and in groups to gauge perceptions of delivered care to assess effectiveness of services provided
- Facilitate daily or weekly meetings to discuss patient status, clinical outcomes, discharge planning, staffing/personnel and other concerns or issues
- Champion a positive image of the Nursing Department through effective interaction with patients, visitors, physicians, community, providers and the general public
- Maintain professional affiliations and enhance professional growth/development to keep abreast of the latest trends in mental health; Remain current on issues and trends impacting healthcare
The incumbent of this position will function as “Chief of Service” and as such is excluded from Bargaining Unit 7 under the MNA collective bargaining agreement. Therefore most benefits are governed by the Commonwealth's "Red Book". (For example: your dental/vision benefits will be with the Group Insurance Commission)
About Taunton State Hospital:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited school of Nursing;
- Current and valid license as an RN in the State of Massachusetts;
- Certification in Mental Health, Addiction, and/or Behavioral Health;
- Expertise and interest in inpatient care of patients with serious mental illness, inpatient care of patients with forensic involvement;
- Knowledge of standard nursing policies, procedures, methods and techniques;
- Record of managing a team of direct reports and engaging/developing teams;
- Ability and ease collaborating and interfacing with diverse populations, including persons served, direct reports, colleagues and external constituents;
- Capacity to analyze and manage data to evaluate program efficiency;
- Competence in maintaining accurate records and exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Thoroughness, independence, excellent written/oral communication skills and the ability to resolve problems/conflicts in a diplomatic and tactful manner
Taunton State Hospital (TSH) is a 45-bed inpatient facility that provides continuing care inpatient to adults with major mental illnesses. The hospital is a leader in the successful integration of the Principles of Recovery and a rehabilitation philosophy into the treatment model.
The hospital is a part of the Southeast Area of the Department of Mental Health which works closely with the inpatient treatment teams to facilitate patients’ discharge back to the community. There is also a robust commitment to evidence-based practices. The hospital is a Joint Commission accredited facility.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve - but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
- Low cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
- 11 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
- Tuition Benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
- Educational/certification incentives (As per Union Contract)
- Short-Term Disability and Extended Illness program participation options
- Incentive-based Wellness Programs
- Professional Development and Continuing Education opportunities
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Salary is commensurate with experience
Work Schedule: 8:30 am-5:00 pm, participates in on call rotation
Days Off: Saturday & Sunday
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
Please contact Dina Robinson at 508-977-3383 with questions.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must have at least (A) four years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience as a registered nurse in a recognized hospital, clinic, or medical facility and (B) of which at least two years must have been in a supervisory, administrative, or managerial capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
1. A Graduate degree with a major in nursing may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required (A) experience.*
No substitutions will be allowed for the required (B)experience.
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL LEVELS IN SERIES: Current and valid registration as a professional nurse under the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing . *
*Recent graduates from an approved school of nursing must have applied for the first available registered nurse examination.
Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator's license may be required.