Under the direction of the Building Official, perform technical work in the inspection of existing buildings and construction sites to assure compliance with the building codes, land use regulations and ordinances; respond to and resolve complaints and disputes concerning City codes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for investigating and ensuring enforcement with City of Federal Way Codes and development standards.
- Respond to complaints and reports of possible violations filed by citizens, other City departments, or outside agencies regarding City codes regulating the development and use of lands within the City of Federal Way.
- Conduct investigations of possible violations through site inspections, interviews and research to determine if a violation exists.
- Resolve code violations through a variety of means, including education, voluntary correction, referral to mediation and/or criminal violations when necessary, issuance of a Notice of Civil Infraction; and the imposition of civil penalties.
- Appear as a witness for the City in legal actions taken to enforce complaints, codes and to gain compliance.
- Present staff reports at public meetings before the Hearing Examiner or Improvement Officer.
- Prepare and maintain detailed records and statistics related to enforcement activities; operate a personal computer.
- Operate a motor vehicle to perform field inspections.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, rules, regulations, and statutes.
- City organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Office principles, practices and procedures.
- Public relations principles and practices.
- Subject matter process and methodology related to area of assignment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Perform field inspections.
- Ensure compliance with relevant City of Federal Way codes and regulations.
- Work under pressure to meet timelines and handling multiple and changing priorities.
- Use a variety of office equipment.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Resolve conflicts in a positive manner.
- Interpret and apply laws, regulations, codes and policies.
- Use a variety of computer-based technologies.
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; demonstrating tact, diplomacy and patience.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Physical ability to perform the essential job functions.
Two years of undergraduate school or vocational training in Code enforcement, law or law enforcement, construction management, building inspection or related fields, and two years of experience in one of the above fields. Experience or education in land use planning is also desirable.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Washington driver’s license.
- Housing, property maintenance or zoning code enforcement experience.
- Municipal city and/or county code enforcement or law enforcement experience.
- Membership in a professional organization relevant to code enforcement.
- General knowledge of planning, zoning, building and construction codes.
Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, online at www.cityoffederalway.com, or by calling 253-835-2530.
The City of Federal way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City’s EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.