ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission:
Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
Ex Libris Group, a ProQuest Company, is a leading provider of library automation solutions to university, college, and research libraries worldwide. We offer the only comprehensive product suite for the discovery, management, and distribution of all materials—print, electronic and digital.
What will I be doing?
As a Systems Engineer on the Cloud Operations Ex Libris team, you will use your technical knowledge in a collaborative setting to support the infrastructure behind the Summon search engine. The Summon web-scale discovery service enables libraries and academic institutions around the world to access billions of records from a single platform.
In this position, you will also…
- Provisions datacenters, servers, virtual machines, storage, and networking equipment supporting product delivery to customers.
- Ensures the availability and efficiency of ProQuest’s Unix/Linux infrastructure.
- Performs infrastructure maintenance tasks such as replacing hard drives, power supplies, adjusting networking configurations, and managing VM capacity.
- Configures and deploys applications.
- Performs initial analysis of errors and performance issues.
- Monitors the infrastructure to ensure uptime and performance.
- Ensures the security of systems and software by following industry best practices.
- Works with configuration management tools to automate infrastructure deployment and maintenance.
- Works with stakeholders to plan and execute complex technical projects, such as software updates, deployments, and infrastructure maintenance.
- Executes server hardware and windows operating system configuration changes in support of complex and routine projects.
- Engages in a wide variety of second level systems troubleshooting tasks including infrastructure hardware, software, and security issues via the company trouble ticketing system and escalation process.
- Supports technology and software development teams and end users with server related questions and issues.
- Integrates new standards, specifications, and technologies into existing processes and methodologies.
- Maintains and advances technical and non-technical skills.
- Leverages in-house and outside resources for training and shares knowledge acquired with the team.
Qualified Candidates must have…
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field, plus 3 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education/certification and experience.
- 1 or more years of experience supporting Unix/Linux Systems.
- Experience working in datacenter facilities, such as server installation, cabling, and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of ITIL procedures, capacity management, change management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all of the following: Virtualization, Public Cloud, TCP/IP, NFS, SAN Storage, troubleshooting multi-tiered client server systems (centric around Xen, KVM, VMware, HP Proliant and Cisco UCS).
- Proven experience managing a JVM based application stack. Understanding of Java memory management, Jetty/Tomcat configuration, and monitoring.
- Deep knowledge of datacenter-grade hardware – such as servers, SAN/NAS storage, and networking components. Extensive experience with troubleshooting issues and physical replacement of components.
- Deep understanding of networked storage. Ability to configure NetApp, Nimble, and EMC devices. Ability to work with iSCSI and NFS mounts.
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP networking and the ability to configure Juniper/Cisco devices.
- Understanding of DNS concepts and ability to configure bind DNS zones.
- Experience with Xen and KVM virtualization technologies.
- Experience with managing AWS services. Specifically, EC2, S3, RDS, ElasticSearch, CloudFormation, VPC, ELB, and RedShift.
- Proficiency in reading and writing basic automation scripts in Bash, Python, Perl, and Ruby.
- Familiarity with configuration management systems such as Puppet and Chef.
- Experience with using and configuring monitoring tools such as Nagios and Kibana.
- Experience managing database systems such as MySQL and MongoDB. Including ability to write MySQL queries, diagnosing performance issues, and configuring replication.
- Ability to use Internet resources and documentation to quickly gain proficiency with unfamiliar technologies.
- Ability to independently plan and execute technical projects involving stakeholders across and outside the organization.
- Experience working with 3rd party vendors and contractors.
- Excellent communication skills via email, chat, and phone.
It would be awesome if you also had…
Other important information about this position:
- Software Engineering experience in Java.
- Experience and certification in Amazon Web Services.
- RedHat or Cisco certifications.
- This position can be based at the Ex Libris office in Seattle, WA or Des Plaines, IL and is not conducive to remote work.
- Occasional travel is required.
- This position requires weekday attendance with some scheduling flexibility.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
- We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
- We hold fun on-site events
- Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
- We have a relaxed dress code
- All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you take pride in providing excellent customer service in a collaborative environment, please consider joining our talented team!